The Arrest

Luke Wilmette was never a religious man. Never went to church, never said prayers, and never thanked God for anything. So of course, he didn't think about God when an old friend of his dad asked the rookie ex-military Park Ranger for help on an arrest.

Luke drove down a dirt road that would lead him to the top of a hill overlooking Joseph Seed's compound. Putting his truck in park, he retrieved his rifle off the back. Assembling it and placing tranquilizing rounds into the clip, he sighed. The Montana heat causing beads of sweat to form on his forehead.

Gripping his binoculars that hung from his neck, he surveyed the compound, assessing what the opposition had available. ARs, Dogs... a flamethrower? Before he could conclude as to why, the sound of a helicopters motor in the distance entered his ears. It hovered for a moment before landing on the edge of the compound.

He laid down on the grass and loaded his gun. Peering through the scope, he saw four people get out of the helo, two women, and two men. The women looked to be two deputies, accompanied by a U.S. Marshall, and finally Sheriff Whitehorse.

He watched as they cautiously walked up to the door, hesitating for a moment. Whitehorse held up his radio up to his mouth.

"Pratt, you keep that chopper close, in case we need a quick exit. Wilmette, you make sure you fire only if absolutely necessary." He removed the radio from his mouth.

Wilmette hesitated for a second as he watched the Sheriff look at his position. Pulling his radio off his waistband and brought it to his mouth.

"All clear up here, fire when necessary, you give the call Sheriff." With a slight huff he placed his radio on his hip, returning his view into the scope.

"Hopefully I won't need to son. Whitehorse out."

Wilmette watched as they entered the church, the door closing behind them. As of now they had no help, they were on they're own. The only person who could help them was the Deputy who sat outside of the door.

He had no way to see into the building. He may not be a religious man, but he prays for their safety. As the seconds turned into minutes, it felt like years before several people left the church doors, but none of the law enforcers exited. He began to grow nervous, what ifs filling his head as what felt like years passed by.

When it seemed as if they would never come out, the three people came out with 'The Father' in the hands of the second Deputy. Her face was hidden under the brim of her hat, making her expression unreadable to him.

The Sheriff seemed calm, but a noticeable worry sat in his eyes. The U.S. Marshal held his head high, pride radiating from him. Luke could feel it from where he sat. The last Dep was visibly nervous, her head was scanning each follower as if they may lash out at any minute.

As his sight came back to the Marshal, his breath caught in his throat as he watched him push one back. A sudden outburst and gunshots rang out second later. As all of this happened, the thing that disturbed him the most, was the simple fact of Joseph, although caught in the middle of all the chaos, couldn't seem calmer if he tried.

His radio cracked to life at that moment with the Sheriff's voice.

"Dammit Wilmette we need help, shoot the ones in the middle so you don't hit us, and try to keep them from the other side of the chopper." His voice seemed frantic as the ambient sounds could be heard from both a distance and the radio.

"Dammit Marshal, why the hell did you do that?" He growled through his teeth as he lined up his first shot.

The go ahead from the sheriff was all he needed to hear as he opened fire, sedating a follower with every shot. After emptying his second clip, he quickly panned over to his comrades, but stopped suddenly. Through his scope Joseph was staring at him, somehow through the dark, across the distance he had spotted him.