Only You (Whitetail Mountains Finale)

Luke's truck slowly approached the Wolf's Den. Putting the vehicle into park, he opened his door and allowed Balto to be the first to exit. Tammy hurried out of the bunker to meet him. Enveloping each other in a hug and a quick kiss, Tammy turns when she feels a fuzzball nuzzle into her hand.

"Aww, where did you find this little guy at?" She knelt down and began to rub the Balto's stomach after he rolled over.

"Balto was on the convoy that I ambushed, he came back after I released all the animals. We drove home and, BOOM! Here we are." They both descended into the bunker. Luke couldn't understand why, but after that night he had with Tammy, he began to develop feelings for her, and she was the one who took care of him when he came back malnourished and beaten.

He couldn't deny it now, he loved her. They walked into the front room, and was met by Eli.

"We got a problem, they got the Deputy again, here Luke, someone want's to talk to you.

"Hey, Kid you there?" The voice of dutch came through the radio silence.

"Hey Dutch, what can I help you with?" He leaned back on the table and kept the radio close to his head, his other rubbing Balto's head while Tammy rested her head on his shoulder.

"Jacob's got the Deputy, and I'm thinking that he might do something."

Just then everyone perked up because the distant sound of gunfire.

"Dutch I'm gonna call you back, I think he's making his move." He slammed the radio down on the table and held Tammy's head much like Joseph would. "Tammy, I want you to hide. Can you do that for me? Take Balto with you." She was hesitant first, but with the sound of gunfire growing ever closer, she shook her head and retreated to the back of the bunker.

Luke Whistled and told Balto to follow her, which he happily did. The sound of gunshots were close now, Eli ran to his radio and cried out for answers.

"What the hell is happening out there!?" Eli frantically called out over the radio to get any information. The gunshots grew increasingly louder as they waited. Luke grabbed the A.R. off of the table and positioned himself where he exposed himself the least but still had a clear shot of the entrance.

"It's the Deputy, she's going ballistic!" A frantic voice called over the radio as both Luke and Eli froze.

"What the hell does that mean?" Luke questioned, hoping to not get the answer he expected.

"Her conditioning, Jacob's cut her loose on us."

The radio cracked to life as the bullet-storm raged on outside, they both expected the frantic pleas from a militiaman or a taunt from Jacob, but what happened instead confused them, music began playing.

"Only you make all this world seem right

Only you can make the darkness bright"

Luke rushed to shut the radio off, pulling himself from cover.

"Don't Shoot!"

A gunshot.

The tension.

The Sudden Pain

~Deputy~

Clawing her way into the dream version of the Wolf's Den, I descended the stairs and raised my gun to shoot.

"Don't Shoot!" Eli's voice pierced through the red haze as I squeezed the trigger. Everything afterwords seemed to slow to a stop. The bullet pierced through Luke's shoulder, but instead of evaporating into smoke, the spray of a crimson liquid peered over his left shoulder, as if to prove what she had done.