The Whitetail Militia

Luke turned to find out who had addressed him.

"And who might you be?"

"I'm Eli, leader of the Whitetail Militia." His dark brown hair framed his face, shadowing it a bit as he stood there.

"Don't take this to hard, but your an Idiot, if your the leader, Jacob is sure to try and kill you while you are out." Luke shook his head and began gathering ammo for the machine gun he had swiped.

"Dutch said I needed to find you, said you could help a lot out here." Eli put a hand on Luke's shoulder only for it to be shrugged off.

"Don't take what he says to heart. I was in Holland Valley before this, and I was only a hindrance. The real hero is the Deputy, and right now she's heading to Faith's region. I'm gonna be heading out to the Veteran's Center here soon." 

Eli's hand came down harder this time, drawing the attention of all nearby Whitetails. Luke turned around only to find the serious look that was in his eyes and on his face.

"No, I'm not gonna let you do that. It's suicide, you're trying to attack Jacob's headquarters now? You'll be captured or killed before you step foot on the premises. Luke just stared at the man before sighing. He was letting his anger and his fear for the Deputy's safety make him act rashly. 

"Your right, I need to cut off their resources first, capturing their depots would not only give us critically needed supplies, but it will also tighten our hand around their neck. Alright, I have a plan, but i need a map." Eli just shook his head and walked off towards one of the vehicles.

"We're heading back to the Wolf's Den. Grab your bike and follow us." Eli closed the door, but turned when Luke came running up. 

"No you can't just take me back to your HQ, Jacob's probably got snipers watching me by now, THAT would be suicide." Luke's panicked face pleaded with Eli as the truck began to pull away.

"I know, but we'll lose them."

~Later~

Eli listened as the sound of Luke's bike came through the trees, before bursting out of the treeline nearby. Spitting out leaves, he stood up and turned his bike off, before concealing it under some camouflage tarp nearby.

"Welcome to your new home away from home, Park Ranger." Luke scoffed and rolled his eyes as he climbed down.

"Yeah yeah, so what needs done around here that yours truly can help with?" A kid entered from one of the other rooms and walked up to Luke.

"So your the Park Ranger that was fighting John, cool. Name's Wheaty."

"Luke, pleasure to meat ya. So what did you guys have in mind for your next attack?" Luke leaned over a table as Wheaty, Eli, and another gathered around the table. 

"Well since you're here, I'd like for your help on this one. Jacob's been using the Grand View Hotel as a brainwashing center, taking both Whitetail and innocent people in there and turning them into soldiers. Tomorrow, we're gonna raid it and get whoever we can outta there. Are you in Luke?" Eli looked over at Luke hopeful as the ex-soldier's eyes scanned the map before pointing at a few locations around the hotel and mumbling to himself.

"Is there a spare rifle around here I can have?" Luke said as he backed up and began to scratch his stubble that was beginning to grow longer. 

"Yeah, we should have one around here, why?" Eli eyed Luke suspiciously, wondering on what the ex-militant was planning.

"Alright, I'll head there an hour earlier with the sniper, and I'll scout out the area, if it's all clear, I'll give the call, if it's not clear, I'll make it clear, then give you the call." Eli and the other Whitetail shook they're heads, this man was absolutely crazy.

"Do you have a god complex?" The man asked Luke. Before any arguing could break out, Eli held his hand up.

"He has a fair point Walker, if we can get rid of all of Jacob's soldiers that are there, we'll have some breathing room. Alright Luke, you call us when you get there tomorrow, and a two minute check in until we get there." Eli was nervous about this plan, he had been having a streak of bad luck recently, and he couldn't afford to lose anyone, there could be very little gain for this mission, and it was well outweighed by the risk, but they had to take it. He just hoped he didn't lose Walker, or Wheaty. He didn't like it but if push comes to shove, he would prefer Luke to be the one to bite the bullet.

~Morning~ 

Luke woke up and carefully stretched, trying to calm himself. Instead of sleeping in the bunker, he decided to rope himself to a branch and sleep in a tree. The nice cool air helped him think and to keep him asleep. Unfortunately last night had seen a nightmare. 

Luke was back in Iraq, staring through his scope at a child with a bomb vest. Waking up he almost fell from his tree.

"Hey, you Ok up there?" A voice called through the darkness.

"Who is it that's talking? Can't exactly see if your friend or foe." A moment of silence filled the air as he waited for a response. There was the sound of leaves crunching, and then the cling of two glasses hitting one another.

"Tammy Barnes, I'm with the Whitetails. I heard you panicking over the cameras, and came out to see what was wrong." Her voice didn't stutter, so Luke believed she spoke the truth, but he couldn't help but laugh.

"Then what's with the beers? Not the best weapon of choice." Her laugh came from below and it brought a smile to his face.

"No, Eli told me earlier that you're ex-military, so I figured it was a nightmare. The beers are so I could talk you into coming down." Luke laughed loudly this time, one thing for certain, Hope County had a fair array of people.

"Alright, I'mma comin'." Luke descended the tree. Tammy was there to greet him on the ground with an arm extended, holding his beer.

"So, Luke, what do you think about Hope County?" Her voice was genuine in it's question as Luke sipped from his beer.

"Well, the scenery is nice, can't say the welcoming committee was the same though." Tammy let out a short giggle as she drank from her own beer.

"And the Deputy?" Luke froze at her question, a light pink began to cover her cheeks as he drank, he didn't notice it but Tammy sure did.

"I have no idea what your talking about, she's my partner, so I hope she got to the Henbane safe." He quickly took another swig from his cold drink as she stared at him skeptically.

"Uh-huh, that's not what your face says, or are you just that much of a lightweight?" Luke denied it in his mind, his wife was the only woman for him, Right?

"Some of the girl's said they seen you telling the Deputy that she should help against Faith, since it would be easier, face it, you love her." Luke looked down, was she right, his heart did seem to skip a beat when she said his name, but what about his wife, he still loved her?

"M-Maybe. Just maybe."

"Well, I'm gonna go back inside, you have a good night. Oh, and by the way, I think you two could make a cute couple." With that she retreated back inside. Luke just sat there, warring internally with his feelings. As the sun came up, Luke heard the door open, and Eli step out.

"We're gonna postpone the attack, scouts said they seen a bunch of vehicles pull in, Jacob's likely there. I'll keep you posted." Eli then went back inside. Luke once again was returned to silence, and just waited with his thoughts. Reaching down and pulling his radio out, he switched to Dutch's channel.

"Hey Dutch, can you send a message to Rook for me?"