A Change of Heart

It had been a week since Luke had arrived at Joseph's compound, and about five days since he woke up, and he has yet to say anything. The only few words he had said were to Lily, who had been assigned to help him.

Joseph was currently with John in his Church praying before his sermon. John was reading from Luke's journal and preparing for his speech after Joseph's speech. Joseph was praying for guidance on how to approach Luke. Him and John both had approached him on multiple occasions.

They had also spoke with Lily, and she had said on multiple occasions she had rushed in when he broke down crying out of nowhere. John himself had heard one of these outburst last night as he tried to sleep. Lily had gone home for the night, so he feared that something had happened.

Rushing into his room, he found Luke sitting on the edge of the bed and bawling his eyes out. Balto lay on the end of his bed whining. Cautiously, John put a hand on his shoulder causing him to jump back in shock, Balto growled from his position on the bed, now standing with his teeth bared.  John sat down and comforted him until Luke fell asleep again, and he returned to his own room.

John closed the book and Joseph looked up from his prayer when they both heard a loud, muffled voice come from inside.

"You really shouldn't be up from bed, please, your injury hasn't completely healed yet!" Joseph slowly sat up, and made his way to the doors. Waiting for a moment he was surprised to hear a certain male's voice on the other side.

"I need to talk to Joseph, and, well, I think I might stay for his sermon. I just need to know something." Joseph smiled and walked back to John. Putting his hand on John's shoulder, he pulled their foreheads together.

"Today will be a momentous occasion. Not only will Faith be joining us later today for dinner, but Luke will be attending service today." John joined Joseph im a smile.

"Do you think that he'll see his purpose today, Joseph" Joseph sighed through his smile.

"If not completely, he will begin to understand. He will see, and with him we will save the Lamb, and we will all march together to Eden's Gate." The bell above him rung and and his flock began to filter in through the doors, Joseph only noticed the two that did not move. Luke and Lily stood at the door, realizing that she couldn't get him home now, she passed the threshold of the door, and stopped halfway down the aisle when Luke was not following.

All eyes were on him as everyone realized who he was. Before them stood the Panther, Park Ranger Luke Wilmette. His arm was in a sling, and his upper body was in bandages. His right eye was covered in a bandage from his mental explosion when he woke up, badly damaging his entire body. His left leg was in a boot and his nervous shaking could be seen by all.

Taking a shaky breath, he took a slow and sloppy step into the church, and seemed to let it settle, before moving closer to the back pews, and taking a slow seat, shaking on the way down before coming to a safe seat. Lily turned back to the Father before receiving a nod, and joining him.

"Today, God has blessed us. A week ago, we lost my brother Jacob. We almost lost Luke as well, but God has safely returned him to us. We must give thanks for this gift... of Life!" Sounds of 'Amen' and 'Thank You' filled the room. The sermon continued on like it would have even if Luke hadn't shown up. Joseph preached about love, family, and faith. John preached about sin, atonement, and repentance. And just as before, Luke held on to every word with awe and curiosity, if not more so. Slowly reaching his hand over, he took Lily's hand in his own, and gave a soft squeeze.

Lily looked over and smiled at the wonder in his eyes. She felt her face heat up just a bit, and gave his hand a reassuring squeeze. He reminded her of a small child looking at Santa. When the sermon ended he leaned back with a smile on his face. Outside the Church, Joseph and John greeted each of his children as they left, and as they greeted the last, they both looked around for Luke. 

"I'll go check back at the house." Joseph nodded and John took off towards the house. Joseph returned back inside his church, and was surprised at what he found. Luke was laying his head across Lily's stomach. Joseph's eyebrows raised when Luke's head rolled over and he spoke.

"I think... Joseph..." Luke sighed as he paused. Lily was petting his head, and Luke's small smile never seemed to fade. "I want to give it a try. I think the reason I was really fighting was, well, I just want to be accepted. After my family was killed, I just wanted to have somewhere I belong. Somewhere I can call home and be..." He stopped talking and sighed out, not knowing if he could say the next word.

"Loved?" Lily questioned as she smiled down at him. She knew from their small talks that Luke felt betrayed. He blamed everyone that was there at the Wolf's Den handed him off to their enemy. He felt alone, and outcast. Luke looked up and smiled at her. Joseph took his hand and helped him stand.

"I know that losing your family, and feeling betrayed by those who you trusted must be hard, but you are accepted here, Eden's Gate will accept you, and love you. We will never turn our back on you." Luke released Joseph's hand and returned to Lily's side. The look in his eyes were like those of a child who doesn't want to be separated from their Mother. Luke must have suffered massive mental harm.

Joseph could use Lily as a way to get through to Luke, and eventually join Eden's Gate. " I wanted to ask you Luke, Faith will be coming here and we were planning a dinner Myself, Faith, and John as well, we wanted to know if you and Lily would like to join us?" Lily put her hands up and shook her head.

"Father, I can't. I'm nothing special I-" She stopped when Luke squeezed her hand, and the look on his face begged her not to leave. Joseph approached and put a loose strand of her red hair behind her head as he pressed their foreheads together.

"You are special. Luke has chosen you to become attached to. To open his heart up to and to confide in. Do not sell yourself short." Pulling back and looking into her green eyes, he switched his attention back and pulled Lukes forehead closer, he could feel his shaky breaths and shivering body. he gave his shoulder a reassuring squeeze and began to take his leave.

"I hope to see both of you there." With that he walked out and left the two alone.

~1 Hour Later~

Joseph opened the door to reveal Faith standing there.

"My dear Faith, how are you this evening. I hope it is treating you well." Faith pulled back and smiled.

"Is Luke here yet. Oh I can't wait to see him again." She revealed a bliss crown.

"I don't think he will be joining us tonight." Faith's smile fell the smallest bit. but she nodded in understanding. Joseph led her to the table where John sat. When Joseph came into the room he stood up until he seen that it was Faith who followed behind.

"He's not coming is he?" John sat back down and scratched his beard. Joseph shook his head as they all sat down. Waiting for a few more minutes, Joseph eventually held his hands out for prayer, John and Faith held took Joseph's hands in Prayer.

"God, we thank you for the blessings bestowed upon us today. For the food, for family, and for this beautiful day. We bring thanks for Luke's wellbeing and appearance today, and we pray for the safety and wellbeing for the project. In Jesus name, Amen.

"Amen."

"Amen."

Not a moment later there was a resounding knock from the door. A look of confusion was passed between Faith and John. Joseph smiled and excused himself. Opening the door he was met with two people.

"Good evening Father!" Lily greeted with a small bow and a smile.

"Good evening to you Lily, and to you as well Luke. I'm glad you could join us tonight. How are you two this evening?" Joseph stepped to the side and allowed them enter. Luke only greeted him with a small nod. Joseph brought them to the table and seated them. Going over to the kitchen to get their table set out, her heard the scraping of a chair across the floor.

"Let me do it Joseph. I'm the reason we're late, I also want to talk to you." Luke's scratchy voice could be heard from behind him. Only now did Joseph realize the red around his eyes.

"I want to change."