Chapter Twenty One.

Thursday

7:00 p.m.

New York City, New York

"Whew, goddamn. Coming with the heat already? Man, who you think you are? Miguel or some shit?" Marshall joked.

Marshall was in the studio with Jenesis, getting a feel for his first single. The best way he could describe Jenesis was like Kendrick and Kehlani got together, had a love child and Jenesis was born. His flows and his rhymes were tight and on point, but his vocal skills were just as high on the scale with his rapping. He didn't know where the guy came from, but he had no doubt that he was probably going to take the world by storm.

Jenesis laughed and shrugged, "Hey, man, I'm just doing me. I do like to think of artists like Miguel, J. Cole, Kendrick, you, Snoop and even a little bit of like, New Edition when it comes to my music and my songs."

"Let me tell you, it's the first time I had somebody like you who sings and raps on the label. But you know what? I definitely don't regret my decision. Now if you can keep this same energy when we record your single and even your first album, you'll have folks quaking. You just might be what's needed to shake up the game."

"Hey, I'm ready. I stay ready."

"That's what I like to hear. We'll get you down probably the beginning of next week, but if you have any other rhymes and shit you'd like to show me, bring 'em in and we'll take a look. Cool?"

"Hell yeah. Appreciate it, Em."

"You got it."

Marshall gave him a dap and told him he'd see him next week. Jenesis left the studio and Marshall grabbed his phone to see a missed call and a voice message from Alexis from earlier that day. He hadn't been on his phone too much all day and he was kind of disappointed that he missed her call, but he knew he would see her later that night.

He listened to her voice message and chuckled to himself. He had sent her the kind of flower she liked and attached a note to it, which was sweet but also true Marshall fashion. He just wanted her to know that he loved her and he was thinking about her. He would never be able to say or express enough just how proud of her he was. He always tried to do little things for her just to let her know how she made him feel.

His thoughts were interrupted when Kendrick and Rick Rubin, one of the executive producers for his album came into the studio. Marshall stood up and greeted them both with a man handshake. Marshall and Kendrick were recording a song for the album he was working on and Marshall knew he couldn't have an album and not put Kendrick on as a feature.

"Em, what's good, man? Glad to hear you back in the studio." Kendrick told him.

"Shit, it's all good. I'm glad to be back in the studio, but you know I couldn't do a song and not have a feature with you on it. You been killin' the game." Marshall admitted.

"It's a great honor, believe me." Kendrick smiled and placed his hand over his heart.

"You ready to get started?"

"Hell yeah, let's do this shit."

Marshall, Rick and Kendrick were sitting back in their chairs, listening to their newly recorded song. As they were vibing, Marshall's phone began to go off. He looked at the screen and he couldn't recognize the number, but he answered anyway.