39

The sun rose in the realm below and Aaron slowly woke with Hercules' chest pressed against his face. He let a smile overcome him and nuzzled deeper into his lover, letting his warmth encompass his being, relishing in this moment of calm. He loved these small moments with Hercules, even though most of the time Hercules wasn't quite awake for them. Aaron loved the quiet, loved how the mere presence of Hercules quieted his ever worrying mind. He sighed happily, he was content here, in Hercules' arms, where his mind was quiet, where he could just live. Perhaps not even that, but merely exist, and it was lovely.

A moment later he felt Hercules stir beside him, waking up, and he made sure he smiled at him and Hercules looked down to find Aaron pressed against his chest. He couldn't help but grin down at him.

"You look comfortable," he commented, his voice deep from sleep and a goofy grin spread on Aaron's face.

"I am very comfortable," Aaron replied, scooting up and kissing Hercules and grinned, "You are, too." Hercules snorted at his and Aaron kissed him again, "Like a big pillow of clouds."

"I don't mean to interrupt this, by all means, adorable display of affection" James interjected, having been awake for longer, putting away the letters, "But didn't we say we'd go somewhere today?"

"Yeah, you're right. I think we should get ready for that," Aaron nodded, then wondered to the side, "I really do wonder how Merdi is fairing. I hope we actually get to visit her. It's been such a long time!"

"Who exactly is Merdi?" James asked, getting up from the bed and reaching for the potion standing on the nightstand next to the bed. He poured some out onto his hand and rubbed it into the scars over his left eye.

"She's a friend, kind of, sort of, I think. She's the princess- no, wait, that was thirty years ago, she should be ruling by now. Her mother was the one who killed the king after I broke the spell by taking away the cursed flute. I stayed a bit after that and she taught me Elsyae, the most commonly spoken language, you know? I think I stayed for a year? I can't properly remember... I hope I get the chance to see her again, though. Would be nice to... catch up, I suppose," Aaron explained and James hummed.

"Does she know who you are?" he asked, worried, and Aaron shook his head.

"Don't worry, I was just as paranoid about being found out back then as you are about my safety because of that now. Goodness, so much time has passed!" Aaron marvelled and Hercules nodded.

"Thirty years is a long time for mortals," Hercules supplied, "Personally, I don't feel like much time has passed at all..."

"Really? I feel... like a lifetime has passed..." Aaron's mind wandered to Alexander. He missed him, he missed him so much. "I miss him..."

Hercules hugged him tight and rubbed his back.

"Me too, love..." Hercules whispered and an arrow of guilt struck James' right in the stomach and he turned around, gripping at the letters at his chest. He reminded himself that this was the reason he had to fix things. He wanted to speak, spill the truth to both of them, whom he now, he thought, counted as his friends. But something prevented him from doing just that, like his throat was tied in a knot. Hercules kissed Aaron's head. "Come now, my love. We wanted to go to the next temple and visit your friend, so let's do that, yeah? No point in... Let's go, yeah?" Hercules smiled sadly down at Aaron and he reluctantly nodded. This was what James had to fix.

"No point dwelling on what can't yet be changed... Let's just go..." Aaron mumbled and pulled away from Hercules' hug. Aaron hugged himself and walked ahead and out of the room. James frowned and kept a tight grip on the letters against his chest.