Chapter Forty-Five: Witch Hunt

Indie's Point of View:

           The words that had escaped him sunk like acid into my skin, melting into me and burning me. I furrowed my brows, trying to think of what this could mean. I remembered the story of the witches and the first werewolves, Thaddeus had told me a small while ago. Witches still exist? Somehow, I would've found it easier to believe if he had said vampires or fairies (if those things even exist). After all, there was a witch burning trial in the 1600s, and they continued for many years after that. Women and men being arrested for so-called voodoo magic, casting spells on people, bringing them back to life and setting curses on all those who had left a bad taste in their mouth.

I suddenly felt dissociative, feeling the urge to laugh. I was going insane. I placed a hand over my mouth, chuckling slightly. The man looked at me oddly, like I had grown two heads. I felt my face flushed from laughing, my stomach hurting. I felt utterly hysterical from what I was feeling — Thaddeus had marked me aggressively, in front of everyone, without my consent — and now some random guy was telling me that witches had some sort of weird hunch to find me. The man in the white coats face turned white, as he realized he probably told me way too much information. Lucky for me, I wouldn't be the one getting punished. And, I sure as hell wouldn't let Thaddeus punish him — I had used the damn "Luna" trick, asserting my dominance over him. It was manipulative and shitty, I know, but they gave me no choice.

"What is your name, Sir?" He turned around slowly, his face blank of all expression. His eyes darkened, as he gulped. I saw sweat glimmer above his dark brows. Was he really scared of me?

"I don't know." He gulped nervously, avoiding my eyes as I stared at his facial expressions intently. I knew I couldn't 'read' him because he was a werewolf, but I still tried my best. He was acting so odd, everyone around me was ever since this ordeal had taken place.

"What do you mean, you don't know?" I asked, raising a brow.

"Alpha punished me. He erased my memory. I had done something horrible, my mate was taken from me. I was trained to be a doctor, to try and make up for my mistakes," He clenched his jaw, he was now sweating profusely. "The Great Alpha wanted to make me useful." My heart sank into my stomach, deepening further into my guts as I took his words in. He was referring to Thaddeus. Thaddeus had done this to him, that's why he was so petrified. However, one thing didn't make sense — Thaddeus took his mate from him. I grimaced in disgust, suddenly feeling like everything I thought I knew about Thaddeus was twisted. It felt as if someone was taking a knife to my stomach, digging it deeper by each second.

"What had you done?" I asked slowly, careful and hesitant with my words. Alas, there was no response. The air was filled with tension, so thick and uncomfortable you could cut it with a damn steak-knife. He shook his head, blinking vigorously.

"I don't know," He said breathlessly, uncomfortable by my interrogation. "The Great Alpha erased all of my memories. I don't know who I am, or what I have done. It must've been horrible, though. This is my punishment, so it must have been horrible..." He rambled on, but his words merely felt like nothingness. He sounded like a poor soul; a broken record. He kept repeating the words, "The great Alpha", and "I will not hurt you", like someone had programmed him to say that. My eyes widened in fear, my heart racing as I struggled to catch my breath. This man was merely a shell of a human being. What had Thaddeus done?

He disappeared from the room, leaving me blankly staring at the door that had gently shut behind him. I tried my best to wrap my head around the words he had spoken to me, but I felt tears begin to sting my eyes. I sniffled, wiping at my face aggressively. I felt heartbroken, and I didn't know why. Was it because Thaddeus was different than I had thought, or because he had done something so intimate to me so ruthlessly? My heart was shattering, falling into a million small pieces in my chest — like broken a broken vase. Not only that, but everyone had completely left me out of the loop. Thaddeus and the pack members had praised so highly to me, only to leave me in the dust. I thought I was important, I thought I had some inclusion in this — considering that I was Thaddeus' mate.

I suddenly felt a surge of anger, but I didn't realize where it had come from. I felt a sting of pain in my chest, almost like a bullet entering me. I ripped down the hospital gown I was wearing, desperately looking for any sign of injury — but there was none. I groaned in agony, clutching my chest as I saw curious eyes peer in. Those same eyes of the men that had watched Thaddeus ruthlessly mark me, those same eyes that had watched me cry in disparity as I pleaded for some sort of explanation from Thaddeus. The pain shot up again, this time near my abdomen. I screamed in pain, the sensation setting my body on fire. I convulsed, my breathing unsteady as I felt sweat trickle down my back.

Four women walked in, all seemingly looking the same. Their hair was neatly in a low bun, their eyes stern and filled with concern. One of the women pressed a needle into the vein in my arm, checking my vitals as the other three held me down. There was indistinct chatter amongst them, all of their voices panicked. As I felt my world begin to feel dark, it hit me.

Thaddeus had told me that once he had marked me, we would feel one another's thoughts, and pain. Thaddeus was hurt right now, and the mating bond was letting me know exactly everything he was feeling. I screamed out again in pain, the agony unbearable as I felt the hot flashes take over my body. Tears streamed down my face, my chest slowly closing in on itself. I felt latex-clad hands touch all around me, feeling at my throat and wrist for my pulse. It was unbearable, and as much as I was resenting Thaddeus in this moment I couldn't help but sobbing. The physical pain and terror I was feeling was too much to handle.

excuse the short chappy but i'm gonna probably update tonight <3 i just wanted to say thank you to all of you, i love all of your encouraging comments and messages. they mean so much to me and i love every single one of you 💜💜
also, my bday is in a month. i'm shook. AQUARIUS GANG ;)) let me know when ur birthday is babies <3