Chapter Fifty-Six: Smile

Indie's Point of View:

       I heard a scream of terror — not a scream coming from the man, but instead one from Mila. I peeled my eyes open, my hands shaking and trembling. My knuckles were as white as the snowflakes that fell from the sky slowly, covering the soil beneath us. Mila's face was in pure terror as she clutched at her upper abdomen. I felt my knees buckle in as I realized what I had done. Her white shirt was drenched in blood, the wound so deep that the blood dripped down her light wash jean-clad legs. No words came from my mouth, I only stood there in disbelief. The gun dropped from my shaking hands, thudding against the forest floor. I had shot my mates sister. She was bleeding, badly. Her screams of agony were not lessening, only increasing. She was going to die. It was my fault. I had carelessly aimed the gun, my nerves getting the better of me.

The men had disappeared, now only leaving me, Thaddeus, and Mila.

I reached for my phone, before Thaddeus forcefully grabbed me — the impact almost pushing me down. "You call the police, and they will know everything about the werewolf community. I will handle it." He hissed at me, rushing to his sister. His eyes held pure rage, but I knew he wasn't angry at the men who had attacked us — he was angry with me, for good reason. In just those few seconds, I've ruined everything.

Mila could die.

Mila would die.

She practically hadn't even started her life, and I had just ended it. I was stupid, so stupid that I regretted everything up until that point. I could've aimed better, I could've not been such a coward. I could've just listened to Thaddeus, but I didn't. I wanted to badly to help, but I was helpless — I'm only a human, and they are werewolves.

"Mila, I'm-I'm so sorry. I'm so sorry, oh my god." I cried out, falling to my knees. I lifted my hands to apply pressure to the open wound, blood seeping from between my fingertips as she let out another ear piercing scream. I sobbed there helplessly, before Thaddeus lifted me forcefully by my upper arms.

"Leave. Now." Thaddeus growled at me. My eyes widened at his face of pure rage and distaste. "I'm so sorry. I'm so sorry." I stood up weakly, almost falling over due to how nauseous I felt. I had fucked up everything, and what I had done was utterly unforgivable.  I got into my car and drove off like an utter coward. A part of me wanted to stay, but Thaddeus didn't want to see my face — which I can understand. I drove until I reached a small diner, sitting in my car and letting the tears run down my face. I knew if I allowed myself to be alone right now I would get bad ideas, ones that would hurt me. I stepped out of my car, entering the diner.

        I was at that old, run down diner for an wife possibly an eternity. I didn't know when I would return home, but so avoided thinking of it. The guilt was unbearable — it felt as if someone was sitting on my chest, making it nearly impossible to breathe. I had done the unthinkable, and I don't know how I could ever apologize or explain myself. I another swig of my piping hot black coffee. I looked outside, watching absentmindedly as the snow fell rhythmically outside. The flakes were large, quickly covering the trees and cars outside, making them look as if they had been dusted with powdered sugar.  I checked the time, seeing as it was now four in the morning. The only other people in the diner were drunken truck drivers and the night-shift workers, who were talking amongst themselves quietly. I had sat at this booth for 4 hours now, staring outside as my heart repeatedly clenching when I remembered what I had done. I quickly wiped away at my face, a single tear running down my cheek.

"Hey, little lady, what's wrong?" I heard a slurred, gruff voice say. I didn't bother to even turn my head. "I said what's wrong, you ungrateful bitch. I'm trying
to help. Stop moping around and smile for once." He chuckled menacingly. I shook my head, leaving a ten spot on the table before pulling my coat tightly around my arms. I walked out of the door, the bell ringing loudly as the cold air and wet snow hit my skin. I shivered, before getting into my freezing cold car. I groaned as I tried to start my car, but it didn't work. Perfect fucking timing. I opened the driver side door, slamming it behind me as I buried my face in my hands, sobbing helplessly. "Fuck, fuck, fuck!" I bit the sleeve to my jacket, muffling my anger filled yells.

I began to walk, my feet trudging through the snow as I felt my entire body get painfully cold. The path was a long one, at least three miles — but I wasn't going to dare to hitchhike, especially after my encounter at the diner. The tears running down my face were seemingly beginning to freeze, my hot breath turning into clouds every time I exhaled. The trees enveloped the path, making it even harder to see where I was going. I pulled my phone out of my back pocket, seeing as it was dead — how fucking cliché. The path began to separate into three different sections, but I continued to go straight. At this point I didn't care if it felt like my toes were going to fall off, I just wanted to be home in my own bed.

Soon enough, the sun started to rise. I tried to distract myself from the guilt, regret and sadness with gazing the beautiful mix of colors — but I couldn't. I slumped down on the nearest tree, not caring how the snow wetted my jeans. And then, I was sound asleep with only the sounds of the birds chirping ringing through my ears.

           "Thank you all for meeting here," A tall preacher said. "The service will begin in just a few minutes." I heard sniffles come from the crowd. I looked around, confused — before I realized what was happening. It was Mila's funeral. I looked down at my outfit, seeing as I was in a float black dress. My eyes felt squinty and everything around me was bright, as I tried to search for Thaddeus. "Thaddeus? Thaddeus, where are you? I'm so sorry. I'm so, so sorry." I cried out. I moved past people, quietly whispering "excuse me's" under my breath as I felt the glares from everyone.

"It's all her fault, look at her! How utterly pathetic, can't even aim a gun right." I heard a woman whisper, before the entire crowd erupted in laughter. I felt a lump rise in my throat as I put my head down shamefully. They were right.

"Thaddeus, is that you?" I whimpered, touching the shoulder of his back. He turned around slowly, the whites of his eyes completely gone as he looked at me with pure rage. "Get away from me." He seethed. I took a step back, my heart lurching painfully. "You don't have to be with me, but I'm sorry, I'm so sorry. I want you to know that." I cried, clutching at my chest. He turned his back on me once again.

I had ruined it all.