Chapter Sixty-Four: Challenge

Indie's Point of View:

        I flipped the page of my organic chemistry textbook, groaning as I saw that I had an entire other chapter to read and answer questions over. Thaddeus was on the phone in the next room over, talking to someone who seemed like they were quite important. I tried to rudely listen in to the conversation taking place, but it was too muffled through the wall. I jumped when Thaddeus started yelling, making me close my book and swing my legs over the bed.

"Thaddeus?" I whispered. He whipped around suddenly. His face was red in anger, and his eyes gleamed with rage. I took a hesitant step closer, my brows raised. "What's going on?" He shook his head and ran his hand through his hair. "Younger alphas keep trying to challenge me on the position I have right now." He growled out, not looking me in the eye.

"Is that why you were all tattered when you came home last night?" I asked, leaning against the door frame. He nodded in response, cursing under his breath.

"When they challenge me, it gives me no other option but to kill them. It's a fight to the death." I choked on my spit as soon as he said that.

"Why wouldn't you tell me?" I said through gritted teeth. "What if the man who challenged you last night would've killed you? Are you kidding me, Thaddeus?" My heart sank into my stomach. I had no idea there was any sort of competition regarding his rank. I knew other alphas who felt as if they were deserving were angry, but I didn't know they would risk their own lives for the title.

"I didn't want to worry you, amica mea. It's something I can't avoid. If I don't fight, the counsel impeaches me and interrogates me. It's a sign of weakness."

"You said no secrets. I need to know this type of stuff. Have you been keeping this from me for a while now?" He looked past me. "Look me in the eyes, Thaddeus. I'm not kidding." He head snapped to my direction.

"Do not give me any backtalk, Indie." He toweled out. I knew I was treading on dangerous waters, but I didn't care. He promised me no secrets, no lies — he promised to always keep me informed as to what was happening. "I don't care, Thaddeus. You could've died. You were so hurt last night, can you only imagine how anxious I was?!" I shrieked out, throwing my hands up. 

"Do not raise your voice at me." He took a few menacing steps closer to me. I rolled my eyes. "Indie, you're testing me. Anyone else who would've talked to me like that would be dead by now." I scoffed at him.

"Stop trying to intimidate me. Leave until you can figure a way out to healthily communicate with me what is happening. You've lied to me before about this shit, I won't have it happen again." I pointed to the door, giving him a stern look. It hurt to say all of this, but he needed to learn once and for all. His facial features softened by the smallest fraction, the crease between his eyebrows diminishing with each of my words.

"You're telling me to leave?" He asked, scowling. I nodded, crossing my hands over my chest. Everything in my heart was telling me not to, that stupid mate pull wanting to make me just run into his arms and hold him — telling him how thankful I am for the fact that he's still alive. He shut the door behind him, and before I could change my mind he was gone, off of my property. I sighed, sitting back on the edge of my bed. I tried opening my windows for some fresh air, but the hurt of our argument still rested heavy in my heart.

I didn't understand why he had to be so stubborn. There was only so much he could protect me from.

           I scrambled to pick up the plates of food, rushing to tend to each of my tables. The diner was absolutely insane — the place was packed. My brain was completely overwhelmed with all of the thoughts, I could barely think straight. My head snapped around when I heard the bell ring, more people were coming in — this time a group of teenage boys. I huffed frustration, before plastering a smile on my face. All of them looked me up and down, whistling loudly. I pretended to ignore it, but deep down I felt very uncomfortable. At least Thaddeus wasn't here, he would've absolutely lost his shit.

I took their orders, but all I could think about was the fact that they were staring at my tits. Can I just catch a break? I remained calm until one of them made a sexual comment not-so-discreetly under their breath. I whipped around, stomping towards them.

"Get out, please." I said sternly. The entire diner went quiet, and the boy who made the vulgar comment threw his hands up in defense like I was crazy, looking around and laughing. "I mean it."

They finally got up and left, but my heart was still racing. I went to the bathroom to try and calm down, but I felt a panic attack rising. I splashed my face with water at the sink, trying to catch my breath. Today was too much. First my fight with Thaddeus, and now some frat boys were trying to hit on me and harassing me at my own work place. My face brightened up when Annie walked in with a hand on her hip.

"Girl, you need to go home. Your energy alone is making me anxious. Go get some sleep. Also, good for you for kicking those childish boys out. No woman deserves that." I smiled graciously, exiting the bathroom and grabbing my purse. I sighed as I got in the car, turning on some music. As I began to start my car, I heard a knock at my window, making me jump. Of course it was Thaddeus.

I rolled down my window, trying not to glare at him.

"Hello miss, can I catch a ride?" He said in his stupid Elvis Presley voice. I shrugged, suppressing the urge to laugh. I was supposed to be mad at him, damnit. He hopped in the passenger seat, thankfully staying quiet while I drove. The sky was beautiful tonight, the moon was a bright crescent and you could see every star. The wind was warm against my face, reminding me that summer was coming — my only solace at that moment.

"Pull over around here." Thaddeus said. I was confused, but complied. "And keep going straight, then take a left into that little area with the hammock." I nodded, driving on the narrow pathway. My mouth fell open when I saw that we were at a secluded area near water, and there was a blanket laid out with a bottle of red wine. The moon glimmered against the slightly rippling water, and the stars added even more illumination.

Thaddeus quickly opened the door for me, letting me out. I was quiet, I didn't know what to say.

"I wanted to say I'm sorry, and that you're right. You don't deserve anything to have anything hidden from you, even if it's scary and I'm worried for your reaction. You are strong, you can handle anything. I will admit, at times I underestimate your resilience due to my own ego. But I won't anymore. I'm sorry for trying to hush you in our argument as well. That was patronizing and not okay of me." I nodded slightly, my arms still crossed over my chest.

"Will you forgive me?" I nodded again, hesitantly. "But you can't always just take me here with a nice bottle of wine whenever I'm mad at you, Th-" He cut me off with a passionate kiss to my lips, making me chuckle. "You're right. Next time it'll have to be a fancy dinner, as well." He winked at me.

"Why are there towels over there?" I asked. Instead of responding, he began to strip off his shirt, making my breath hitch. He pulled his jeans down, just leaving him in his boxers. I covered my eyes, squealing like a child. "Thaddeus, oh my god. It's too cold for me! You forget that I don't have the same genes as you that always keep you so warm."

"I promise I won't let you be cold."

"Okay." I said slowly. "Turn around, please." He chuckled again before turning around. I unbuttoned my work shirt, leaving me in my light pink bra before taking off my jeans as well. I placed my hands over my chest, twiddling with my nose ring before he turned back around. He purred slightly, grabbing my bare waist with his large hands. He then grabbed my hand as we began to walk into the water. It was a bit cold but it felt nice on my skin.

As we began to wade deeper, the water hit just above my collarbones. Thaddeus, on the other hand, still had water at his waist.

"I don't know how to swim." I whispered, embarrassed. Thaddeus then lifted me up from underneath my thighs, making me yelp. I wrapped my legs around his waist, loving the way his warm body felt against mine. I pressed my face into his chest as we looked into the sky, admiring the beauty of it. I giggled as he moved his hands to my bum, squeezing gently. He spun around, making me laugh once again.

"The sky makes me feel so small, remembering there's an entire universe out there. We're just little specks. It makes everything feel so insignificant when you look at it in perspective."