Chapter Seventy-Five: Future Tense

Indie's Point of View:

I quickly slipped on clothes, my hands shaky with anxiousness. Whoever demanded me seemed very stern, causing my brain to go in numerous directions. Thaddeus proceeded to pull on gym shorts, running his hand through his still wet hair. I took a deep breath in as Thaddeus placed his hand firmly on my lower back, opening the huge door that brought us face-to-face with the pack doctor, another male pack member behind her with his arms crossed fiercely over his chest — his facial features looking somewhat melancholy. The pack doctors face was sad and filled with worry, her icy blue eyes instantly meeting mine. It seemed like an eternity before she dared to speak.

"Luna, we regret to inform you that your mother has passed." My legs began to feel weak, but on the other hand, I felt emotionless. I clenched my jaw and looked down, I didn't need to ask what had happened. "Overdose." I whispered slowly. Thaddeus' fingers began to draw circles onto my lower back, comforting me. Although I had never really known my mother, it pained me that she went through so much. I should hate her, but I couldn't. Now, she was finally at peace. Thaddeus and the pack doctor continued to speak, discussing the arrangements of the funeral. My head was aching, but at the same time, I felt a weight being lifted off of my chest. As sick as it sounds, it have me immense relief to know that she would no longer struggle.

This grief was odd, and different from when James and Janis passed away. When they passed, my whole world came crashing down. After all, I had nothing apart from them. This grief sat raw and untouched in my chest, giving me a mix of emotions. I could hardly decipher what I felt, exactly.

The rest of the conversation regarding my mother's viewing felt like a blur. Thaddeus got the message that I was too busy drowning in my own thoughts, so he intently listened. It was moments like these where I cherished him the most.

After a few minutes, Thaddeus quietly shut the door before pulling me into his strong arms. I rested my head against his warm chest, loving the feeling of his body heat envelope me. He gently stroked the back of my head as we just stood there, basking in each other's warmth.

"Indie... I wish I knew what to say. I want to say that I'm sorry, but that just sounds senseless. I wish I could do more." He murmured against my dark locks. I looked up at him, running my fingers against his stubbly face. I let my fingers then touch his sharp jaw, making him close his eyes blissfully. I pressed a kiss to his jaw softly, looking into his entrancing eyes.

"I know, Thad. I wish there was more to be done, but I am strong. I've dealt with grief before, and I'm around a loving environment who accepts me fully for who I am. Within time, it will all be okay. I will heal. I've been through this before, I can do it again. And, I have you in my life. That's all I need." He smiles at my words, bringing me in for another embrace.

Thaddeus' Point of View:

           Indie and I were laying in my large leather couch, cuddled up under a plethora of blankets. The fire was burning vividly in front of us, crackling ever so often. We were currently watching Kill Bill, one of her favorites. Since we had gotten the news that her biological mother had passed, almost no words had been spoken between us. In this time, I knew that it was better to sit in a comfortable silence rather than try and unravel such a saddening topic. Her petite body was sprawled across mine, but I often found myself pulling her in impossibly closer to me.

"You're a lug. I'm surprised I can breathe right now considering the fact that your arms alone weigh about a ton each." She murmured quietly. My lips began to twitch up, as I kissed her gently on the forehead.

"Your lug."

"That was cheesy."

"I know. I can't believe I said it."

She giggled softly, making me want to sigh in relief. I had been concerned about her feelings all evening, but I avoided the urge to pry. When she was ready, she would talk about it. If she never wanted to speak about it, I would understand. She had been through the ringer in the last year, and I couldn't bare to think of how my little mate was hurting. In fact, my chest felt the same uncomfortable pull as hers did, due to the mate link.

I ran my fingers down her hair, playing with the ends of her locks.

"When I become a mother, I will love them unconditionally. I wish I had known my better, but I suppose you can't miss what you've never had." She said, her face buried into my chest. My chest fluttered at the thought of creating a family with her, but I pushed it away. Now was not the time.

"I think you're going to be a wonderful mother, Indie. I know it." She lifted her head from my chest, her hair curly and wild from the snoozing we had been doing for most of the day.

"I always think of what I'll name them, and how they'll look. I wonder if they'll have heterochromia like me, or your warm, amber eyes. I wonder what their complexion will look like. I wonder how they'll treat others. There's so much life for us to live, still. It's almost overwhelming to think about." She chuckled softly, grabbing my fingers. She stroked the calluses on my thumb and index finger, before intertwining her small fingers with my much longer ones.

"I hope that they look exactly like you, little one. I would be thrilled. They will be kind to others, and be raised in an environment with all of the support and care they need. In fact, they'll be smothered with love." Her dimples began to line her cheeks, and I could feel the weight on her chest begin to lift — slowly, but surely.

one more chapter my loves, i'm so sad to see this book come to an end but i want to end it in a place where it feels satisfying

i love you all, thank you for the constant support and kindness that i have received throughout Indie and Thaddeus' wild love story. i appreciate all of you.

xo,
c