thirty five

Later that day we had come across a small island so we all decided that we would spend the night on shore.

Edmund and I were currently getting ready to go in our room.

"Hey, Eddie?" I asked as I laced up my boots. He turned to me. "What were you and Lucy doing before we were brought to Narnia?"

Edmund began to lace up his tunic. "Well we were out in doing some errands and I went to try and enlist in the army and-"

"Wait what?" I asked as I stopped what I was doing to look at Ed. I shook my head. "Why would you do that?"

Edmund let out a small sigh. "Cause I'm tired of just sitting around while this whole war is going on."

"Ed, please don't enlist." I said softly before securing my sword on my hip.

"Why not?" Edmund said with a frustrated tone, while raising his voice, but I could feel that he wasn't that angry. I scoffed quietly before walking to our door. "Give me one good reason why I shouldn't."

I stopped walking and turned around enough to face him. "I already lost my dad to war. I can't lose you too, I won't survive." I whispered as tears blurred my vision.

I immediately saw Edmund's face soften as he tried to walk towards me but I was already out the door.

I felt a wave of disappointment and sadness wash over me as I met with Penny and Gael.

"Hey, Nell." Penny smiled up at me along with Gael. "What's wrong?" She questioned, the smile slowly fading from her face.

"Nothing, I'm fine." I smiled at her before we hopped into one of the boats.

I saw Edmund get into the boat out of the corner of my eyes and I was slightly relieved when he chose not to sit by me. He knows how much I hate to think about dad's death, so he knows to just leave me alone for a bit.

After maybe 15 minutes we were finally at the island and night began to fall. Penny grabbed my hand and led me over to where she was gonna sleep.

Everyone decided to go to bed but I just laid there on my back, unable to sleep.

Letting out a frustrated sigh I stood up and walked to the water. Upon arriving at the water I decided to take off my boots, allowing my bare feet to feel the sand underneath them.

I smiled slightly as I felt the sand between my toes. I then let out a small sigh before sitting down and pulling my legs to my chest.

I heard the sound of feet walking in the sand and I didn't even have to turn around to know that it was Ed.

"Hey." He said quietly as he stood beside me.

"Hey." I replied keeping my eyes on the water.

I saw him rub the back of his neck. "Can I sit?" He questioned so I nodded.

We both just sat in silence for a few minutes just watching as the waves came and went upon the sand.

"I've always loved the ocean." I said softly.

I could see Edmund smile out of the corner of my eye. "I know. Remember when you wrote that 10 page essay on how much you love the ocean in second year." He let out a small laugh.

I smiled. "I still remember the look Ms. Wilson gave me when I handed it into her." I laughed quietly as did Edmund.

After another moment of silence, Edmund broke it again. "Hey, look about earlier, I'm sorry. I didn't even think about it that way."

I turned to him and met his worried gaze. I gave him a small smile before stretching my legs out in front of me and grabbing his hand.

"I know, Eddie." I squeezed his hand gently and ran my thumb over his knuckles as he smiled at me. "It's okay, I'm not mad at you. I-I just hate thinking about what happened with dad." The back of my eyes began to burn.

Edmund noticed the change in my expression so he wrapped an arm around my shoulder and pulled me closer to him.

I rested my head on his shoulder. "I know. I'm sorry I made you think about it." He whispered.

I moved my head and kissed his jaw. "It's okay, I'm not gonna hold it against you." I smiled at him.

He let out a small laugh before kissing my forehead.

We both them decided to lay down on the sand and watch the stars. Ed had his arms wrapped around me as I laid my head on his chest.

"Nellie?" He whispered and I hummed in response. "Do you remember your theory about stars?"

I smiled. "Yeah, my theory that every star represents someone who has passed away."

Edmund traced his fingertips over my arm. "I think I know which one would be your father."

I moved my head to look at him. "Really? Which one?" I asked.

He smiled at me before looking back up at the starry night sky. "I think he's the North Star."

I smiled at him. "Why's that?"

"Because it's very bright and sometimes it can feel like the North Star is watching over you." He said as he kept his gaze on the sky.

"You think he's watching over me?" I asked him before laying my head back on his chest to watch the stars as well.

"I don't see why he wouldn't. He was always very protective of all of you." He said while still caressing my arm.

I let out a small laugh. "Yeah he really was, wasn't he?" I felt Ed laugh underneath me. "I think you were the only boy he trusted. I know he would've approved of us getting together."

"You really think so?" Edmund asked. I looked at him and smiled.

"Of course." I said and Edmund smiled before pressing his lips to mine.

I smiled into the kiss as Edmund pulled me impossibly closer. When we pulled away he smiled and kissed my cheek before yawning.

As much as I tried to resist it, I ended up yawning as well. Edmund laughed at that.

"Get some sleep, Beesly." He whispered while caressing my cheek with his hand.

I moved my head and pressed a gently kiss to his palm. "You too, Pevensie." I smiled at him before placing my head back on his chest and closing my eyes.

...

not edited <3

they. own. my. heart!