fifty

I immediately sat up quickly as blonde strands of hair stuck to my forehead. I placed a clammy hand on my neck as I breathed deeply.

Was that dream real?

I looked up at the foot of my bed to see Theo. He wore an unreadable expression.

"Find her." He whispered before vanishing into thin air.

My dream began to replay in my head. As I ran over everything I began to struggle to breath. My breath became rapid as my hands shook.

I felt as if cold, dead hands held my heart as they squeezed tighter and tighter with every moment.

My eyes began to burn before salty tears fell from my eyes and down my pale cheek.

Breathe, love. I heard Edmund whisper. The whisper didn't come from beside me or in front of me, it came from my own head.

You can do this, I know you can. His voice calmed me down. I couldn't tell if it was really him or not but I didn't care. I just needed to hear his voice.

I took a deep breath before slowly removing the covers off of my legs. My whole body shook slightly as I tried to stand on my own feet.

I grasped the headboard of our bed as I tried not to fall. I hadn't stood on my own legs in days so the feeling almost felt foreign.

When I finally got the courage to release the headboard from my grasp I immediately collapsed. More tears streamed down my cheeks and onto the cold ground beneath me.

"Get up." I gritted through my teeth as I became more frustrated with every passing moment. I placed my palms down on the ground and it felt almost like ice spread throughout my entire body.

I looked down at my hands and saw a very faint glow coming off of them. I brought my hand closer to my eyes as I observed them. It took me a moment to realize what exactly the glow was, and when I did, I swear my heart broke impossibly more.

This faint, gray glow that rested on my fingertips was what use to be the bright golden glow of our bond.

"No." I whispered as I moved my fingers gently. I watched with heartbroken eyes as the glow got more before it got a like brighter only to become dull again.

It was almost as if they were breathing. And with each breath they became more and more dull.

"Are yours like this?" I said into the empty room.

No, mine are not. But they are out, waiting for yours to return to them. Edmund's voice whispered in my head.

"Do you feel any pain like I do?" I asked him as I studied the wisps.

No, I-I don't. But when I see your face, I do feel pain. More pain than I ever thought imaginable. It hurts like hell to see the one person in this world you love more than anything broken. I'm so sorry I felt you here alone.

A few more tears escaped my eyes as I dropped my hands back into my lap. I looked down at the floor and watched as my tears now formed a small puddle on the ground.

"It's not your fault, Eddie." I whispered.

I love you. He paused for a moment. So much.

I smiled lightly down at my wedding ring as it sparkled gently in the light coming from the window beside me. "I love you more." His laughed echoed softly throughout my skull and I smiled a bit more.

Not possible.

My smiled faded and I brought my gaze back up from the floor. I placed my hands back onto the floor and slowly began to push myself back up.