fifty three

Alice and I sat on the small sofa that looked out at the street below. It's been about two days since I saved Alice from her father. Ever since she has been all smiles and giggles and I even found myself genuinely happy at times which, ever since Edmund died, has felt impossible.

Edmund hasn't made himself visible to me for a few day but I can feel that he is here.

Alice was counting the amount of cars that drove by when suddenly the phone rang. I smiled at the girl before walking over to the kitchen and placing the phone to my ear.

"Hello?" I said. I could hear small sobs from the other end of the phone.

"Hey, Nell." Patrick sniffled from the other end.

"Patrick? What's wrong? Why are you crying?" I asked him, immediately feeling worried that something bad had happened.

I hear him choke on a cry before speaking. "It's Susan she-" He was cut off by his own sob. "She's gone." He cried more.

My eyes widened. Was I actually able to make her believe? "Oh my god." I whispered. Patrick continued to cry and I felt my heart ache at the sound of his sobs.

Patrick continued to cry for a few more minutes before apologizing and getting off the phone. I placed the phone back on the wall and placed a hand over my mouth.

"I did it." I whispered to the wall.

"Did what?" Alice asked as she walked towards me. I turned around and smiled at her.

"Nothing." I told her. She smiled at me before let out a small giggle.

"Okay." She said with a laugh. I smirked at her before picking her up and tickling her. She laughed loudly as I tickled her more and more.

After maybe a minute I decided to let the girl breathe. When I stopped she laughed a few more times.

"That was evil." She smiled.

I smiled at her and wrapped my arm around her shoulder. She quickly cuddled into my side. I looked down at her and my smile widened.

The holes that had been burned into my being after Edmund's death seemed to slowly fade away. The dark cloud that had loomed over my head seemed to brighten, revealing light.

We spent many days together, laughing, smiling, and just enjoying our time together. Until this one Saturday morning.

Alice and I had just woken up and we decided to make breakfast together. Alice ended up sitting at the counter, watching me cook, with a steaming mug of hot coca. I turned around and smiled at her, seeing as she know wore a small mustache from the drink, before continuing to cook her eggs.

Once her eggs were fully cooked and placed them in front of her and she began to eat them.

"Are they good?" I asked.

She looked up at me with bright eyes while a piece of egg hung out of her mouth. She nodded fast causing the piece of egg to move up and gently slap her nose. She giggled and I soon followed.

A knock sounded from the front door so giving Alice one last laugh, I walked over to it. I opened the door to reveal an older lady. She was maybe 70 and wore different shades of purple.

"H-Hello." She said as she held onto her bag. "Are you Mrs. Pevensie?" I nodded and she let out a breath of relief. "Oh thank goodness. I've been looking for you."

My eyebrows nearly kissed each other in confusion. "You were looking for me?" She nodded and opened her mouth to speak but was cut off.

"Grandma!" Alice said and ran up to the older lady, wrapping her arms around her legs.