Chapter 5

~

Once a month I was blessed with the reminder that waking up soaked in your own sweat was not a great experience. With a hand clutched to my lower abdomen, I tossed and turned in my bed from the pain.

I hate periods.

Out of the three of us, I was the one that had the worst cramps of all. Bo-Ra usually managed to get through hers not too unscathed and So-Hee could see hers through without anyone even noticing.

I convinced myself a long time ago that mine were specially signed for from hell- there was no other conclusion. So when I made haste to knock on So-Hee's door for some extra feminine care at three am in the morning, I wasn't surprised that she didn't even open the door. She was a pretty heavy sleepier, but I thought I'd try my luck seeing as she was the closest.

I had to stagger all the way to Bo-Ra for aid and luckily, she opened the door. Albeit after fifteen minutes, very much still asleep and mumbling incoherent sentences. I had to apologise to the neighbouring girl who angrily opened her door in annoyance.

It couldn't be helped really.

Although it was a struggle, I forced my eyes shut for a total of two hours before I had to get myself prepped for a new day. I went through the Wednesday like any other and my shift at Halmeoni's wasn't any different, besides the occasional curled up hunch here and there. Thankfully Halmeoni was a woman too so she understood my dilemma. She suggested I go home and close up early if it got too busy, but I couldn't do that. This was how she also made a living, having her shut early every so often defeated my point of helping her in the first place.

I didn't have time to see the rest of Tokki Club, because I had a full schedule. They wouldn't have liked me very much today either, especially since I would've complained at every chance that I got. I didn't make it a habit to broadcast my monthly calendar when possible. It was much easier to complain in my head to myself and by myself.

By the time I got home it had hit ten o'clock and I collapsed on my bed. My appetite had betrayed me like it usually did around this time of the month, so I didn't bother eating dinner. On any other day I would have eaten the large bowl of halmeoni's chicken ramen that she made, but that day wasn't this one.

After a while of laying flat against my bed, I got under the covers and closed my eyes. I scanned my mind trying to locate the memory of everyone's schedule for today. So-Hee had two lectures like I did, Bo-Ra had a lecture and debate club. Ji-Soo had rehearsals with class, Myung-Soo had class and a trial sit in and Seung-Ho... I don't remember what Seung-Ho had today.

I opened my eyes again, squinting at my wall trying to remember but I couldn't. Maybe that was a good thing.

The thought of Seung-Ho reminded me to step up my game with my plan of being more normal with him again. It was still in action, I just wasn't executing it well enough. Digging out my phone from my bag that was strewn to the side, I searched his name through my contacts in attempt to message him.

I wasn't expecting him to reply though.

Me: 22:50

>Hey

Seung-Ho: 23:00

>Hey..?

After, hey what comes next? I didn't want to approach him with that one idea of his parents divorce in mind. Judging by how he put a question mark with his greeting, he's probably already confused as to why I'm even messaging him in the first place. That's not particularly surprising, we rarely ever messaged even when we weren't this awkward.