Chapter 15

Autumn 1998

I shuffled around under my duvet, the soft comfort it brought me was an invite to sleep past my alarm for another twenty minutes, but I knew if I did that I would be late so I couldn't let it defeat me, not after struggling with it for the past few months.

I quickly jumped out of bed, knowing that if I didn't somehow force myself I wouldn't be leaving anytime soon. Finding my balance and stretching my muscles, I staggered to the floor length window and pulled the curtains to allow some light in.

I sighed in contentment as my eyes scanned the view, even though I had already been in LA for a few months the view of the city is yet to fail me. From where I lived on the seventh floor, I was close on enough to see what was happening in the streets, but also high enough to get a semi-skyline view of the rest of the city. Waking up knowing that I would soon be a part of the thousands of others walking those streets gave me a strength to start each day.

I looked at my clock once more and ran to the bathroom to get ready. I had graced LA with my presence for approximately six months and seven days – Not that I was counting though.

I gave my all in the remaining weeks leading up to exams, pleading within myself that my efforts would be enough to graduate and by some sort of power I made it. I was relieved and proud of myself for having gotten my degree and now I'm working at my Uncle's firm as I had planned.

Just before I left, it felt like by moving all the way here that I was running away from whatever there was back in Korea, but I soon came to terms with the feeling, because I knew that it wasn't true. This was always my plan, life and other things just happened to make me want to go far away.

The city was different to back home, but it was also similar in some ways. I fell in love with the diversity, the food – although I do miss my authentic noodles from halmeoni, just being able to communicate with her by mail filled me up – and even my neighbours. Well, more of my neighbours puppy but all the same.

Scrambling out the shower, I quickly got dressed into a pink blouse, layered with a black blazer and black work skirt and grabbed an apple from the kitchen counter before running out of my apartment. I had four minutes left to make it for the bus, even though I (kind of) woke up on time. This happened too often that I made sure to wear my trainers first to make the running easier and pack my heels in my bag.

As soon as I stepped outside, the warmth of the autumn air hit my skin almost immediately sticking to me. This was another thing that was different to Korea, autumn back home wouldn't be this warm although I wished it would be. I ran through the streets decorated with leaves clutching my handbag tightly to my side with sweat soon building up. The work day hadn't even started yet and I was already exhausting myself, per usual.

When I saw the station in site with my bus already there I sprinted, but all in vain as the doors were drawing to a close and the dark, ashy smoke soon appeared from underneath the bus as it drove further and further away from me.

I paused to catch my breath and strolled the remainder of the distance at my leisure, eating my apple to satisfy my hunger. 

"You made it."

As soon as the familiar voice struck my ears, I was reminded of another thing that differentiated LA from South Korea; back home was missing a very special person.

Myung-Soo.

I turned around at the sound of his voice and I was greeted with the smile that sent all the students, male and female, at UCLA wild. This smile was reserved for his close friends though, it wasn't his polite smile, it was his 'I care about the person I'm talking to' smile and I preferred it. He was clad in a button-down white shirt paired with navy chino trousers and a duffle coat to match.