8. Eyes on me!

I had just entered the bridge when I got thrown forward. The whole ship was shaking. I got back to my feet and ran towards Hill. Something had definitely hit the ship. 

" Turn up that engine! Number 3 engine is down!" Maria said " Can we get a run in?" She remained exceptionally calm. She turned to one of the agents behind a computer " Talk to me." she said. 

He pointed at the monitor " Turbine's loose. Mostly intact, but it's impossible to get out there and make repairs while we're in the air." 

" We lose one more engine, we won't be. Somebody's got to get inside and patch that engine." She told him. 

Watching over the other screens I saw everyone run around the ship. 

" We got perimeter breach! Hostiles are in SHIELD gear. Hold on to every junction." Agent Sitwell said " Sir, the Hulk and Thor are in shuttle levels 2, 3 and 4!" 

I put in my earpiece and said " Sir, the Hulk will tear this place apart!" 

" Get his attention." Fury said. 

Maria nodded " Escort 606, proceed to 270 main shuttle! Don't get too close." 

" Copy." the pilot said. 

I looked at the screen, we were in big trouble. " Sir," I said " we've lost all power in Engine 1." 

" It's Barton." he answered " He took out our systems. He's headed for the detention level. Does anybody copy?" Nat told him she was on it.

I looked around. " Where's Coulson?" I asked Maria.

" Detention center." she told me. 

I started running towards it, passing other agents who were on their way to the bridge. 

When I opened the door and ran in I saw that the cage Loki had been in was gone. And coulson was lying on the floor with a big wound. 

" Phil!" I yelled sprinting towards him. I sat down next to him. " What happened?" I asked. 

" Loki." he sighed. 

I pressed my earpiece. " I need medics in the detention center ASAP!" I almost yelled. But no one answered " Hello? I need medics right now!" I looked at Phil, he was struggling. " Hey, look at me, you're okay." I told him. 

He looked at me " Promise me you'll catch him." he said. 

I nodded " Of course, and you'll be there to see it." I told him. 

He shook his head " I'm proud of you Grace." At that moment Fury ran in and kneeled down beside us. 

" Sorry, boss. They got rabbited." Phil told him. 

" Just stay awake." Fury told him " Eyes on me!" His eyes were getting heavier. 

" No. I'm clocked out here." he said. 

" Not an option." Fury told him. 

" Hey look at me." I told him " You'll be fine okay." I pushed my earpiece again " Where is medical for god sake!" I was getting desperate, he couldn't die. 

I got up and started running through the hall to find the medics. They were already running towards us. 

When I entered the room again they were putting him on a barrier, but he wasn't breathing anymore. I turned around, I couldn't watch it. Tears started forming in my eyes, but I couldn't cry, not right now.

I made my way back to the bridge with Fury. He started informing everyone " Agent Coulson is down... They called it." 

" You got my daughter?" dad asked him. 

" I'm fine dad." I told him, not knowing if it was true. 

Fury had gathered us in the briefing room. We were all sitting there, numb from what had just happened. 

" These were in Phil Coulson's jacket. Guess he never did get you to sign them." Fury said throwing the Captain America trading cards on the table. 

I looked away from them, I couldn't look at the blood that was covering them. " We're dead up in the air up here" Fury started " Our communications, location of the cube, Banner, Thor. I got nothing for you. Lost my one good eye. Maybe I had that coming..." I looked up at him, he continued " Yes, we were going to build an arsenal with the Tesseract. I never put all my chips on that number though, because I was playing something even riskier. There was an idea, the Starks know this, called The Avengers Initiative. The idea was to bring together a group of remarkable people, see if they could become something more. See if they could work together when we needed them to, to fight the battles that we never could. Phil Coulson died still believing in that idea, in heroes." 

dad got up and walked off. He clearly didn't want to hear it. So I followed him.

I found him in the detention center, looking at the empty cell container. 

Steve walked in after me. " Was he married?" he asked. 

" No," I told him " But there was a cellist." He had talked about her a few times. 

" I'm sorry, he seemed a good man." Steve said. 

" One of the best." I told him.      

" He was an idiot." dad suddenly said. 

" Excuse me?" I asked him offended. 

" Why? for believing?" Steve asked. 

" For taking on Loki alone." dad said. 

" He was doing his job." I told him annoyed.     

" He was out of his league. He should have waited. He should have..." dad explained .

" Sometimes there isn't a way out, Tony." Steve told him. Dad walked away from us 

" Right, how did that work for him?" he asked us. 

" Is this the first time you've lost a soldier?" Steve asked him. 

Dad turned around sharply " We are not soldiers! I am not marching to Fury's fife!" 

I took a little offence in that, I did work for him after all. 

" Neither am I!" Steve yelled. 

" He's got the same blood on his hands as Loki does. Right now we've got to put that aside and get this done. Now Loki needs a power source, if we can put together a list..." 

I was now looking at the blood stained floor " He made it personal." I told them both. 

" That's not the point." Steve told me.

" That is the point. That's Loki's point. He hit us all right where we live. Why?" I asked them both. 

" To tear us apart." Steve answered. 

" He had to conquer his greed, but he knows he has to take us out to win, right?" dad asked " That's what he wants. He wants to beat us and he wants to be seen doing it. He wants an audience." 

We agreed " Right, I caught his act at Stuttgart." Steve told us.    

" Yeah. That's just a preview," I said " this is opening night. Loki's a full-tilt diva. He wants flowers, he wants parades, he wants a monument built in the skies with his name plastered-" I stopped myself, I knew exactly where he was. And dad did as well 

" Sonofabitch!" he whispered.             

" Where is he?" Steve asked. 

" My tower." dad told him. " You're going with me." dad told me. He gave me a little device containing a suit that latched onto his. I put on the suit, he picked me up and we were off to New York.