21. Mission

A few days later my long vacation was finally over. Fury needed me for a special mission. So I made my way to the New York HQ and checked in at the front desk. " Grace Stark, I have an appointment with Nick Fury." I told the man sitting at the desk. " 8th floor." he told me and let me get into the elevator behind his desk. The HQ was still a secret in New York, meaning no one but people from SHIELD and the government knew about it. The music in the elevator was an upbeat song, a fairly new one. I didn't know the name of it tough. I got out at floor 8 and knocked on Fury's door. " Come in." I heard him say so I did. " You wanted to see me." I said walking up to his desk. He was typing away on his computer and looked up. " I have a special mission for you Stark." he said, enjoying that I didn't know what it was yet. " That's what you said over the phone." I said, wanting to know my mission. " I'm sending you to check up on someone." he said looking in his desk for a file. " You want me to check up on someone?" I asked confused, that was hardly a mission. " Isn't that what I said?" he asked annoyed. " You did, but, checking up on someone isn't really a mission sir. I'm pretty sure a level 1 agent can do that." He found the file and gave it to me with a smile " Believe me, it's a mission." he said. I looked at the file ' Thor Odinson' was written on the brown/yellow paper. I looked from the file to Fury. " You want me to go to Asgard?" I asked confused and a bit in shock. Not a bad shock, more a, I can't believe you're giving me this opportunity shock. " I do, and you're one of the only people I trust to walk around on an alien planet." he told me. But there was one problem " You do know I can't just get there on the bus, right?" I asked. He rolled his eyes at me " Thor gave us a way to contact him if we ever needed to go there." he explained. " He already knows we're sending someone." " When do I leave?" I asked excited. " As soon as you accept the mission." he said. I nodded " I'll do it."

I was standing on an open abandoned field with my backpack on. Fury and some scientists were standing a few feet away from me. I looked up at the sky, there were a few clouds but the sun was coming through. There was a soft breeze of cold air making me button up my jeans jacket.   " Ready?" Fury asked. " Ready." I told him. I stepped a few feet forward, making sure there was enough space between me and the rest. I looked up to the sky again and yelled " Heimdall, I'm ready!" The Bifrost opened and I got sucked into it. It was beautiful, but extremely fast. I had just started to get used to the feeling when I fell inside a golden room. I tripped over my own feet but managed to stay on them. When I had balanced myself again a big man, wearing golden armour walked up to me. " You must be Heimdall." I said, having to look up to see his eyes. " Welcome to Asgard. Which mighty Avenger do I have the honour of meeting?" he asked. Oh wauw, mighty Avenger. " Grace Stark." I told him kindly " But the honour is all mine." He smiled " Ah, the one with the power of lightning." he said and lead me out of the golden room. When we were standing on the bridge my mouth fell open. I had never seen anything more beautiful in my  life. A rainbow bridge leading up to a golden city. With a palace more beautiful than any castle we had on Earth. " Wow." I sighed, taking it all in. " We'll go by horse." Heimdall said and took a horse that had been waiting. He helped me up and sat down in front of me. " Now hold on tight." he said and the horse started galloping. I hadn't yet put my arms around him, so when the horse started I fell off going face first into the rainbow bridge. While Heimdall turned around to come back I pushed myself up from the ground. " I thought I told you to hold on." he said. " I obviously wasn't ready." I told him. I got onto the horse again. " Ready?" he asked when my arms were already around him. " Yes." I told him rolling my eyes.

We arrived at the palace, it was even more beautiful up close. People were hustling around and when I looked to my right I could see people train in the distance. " This place is huge." I exclaimed " How many people live here?" " The Royal family, and everyone who works in the palace." he told me. When we entered I noticed the halls smelled like fresh linen. The place couldn't be more perfect. Heimdall asked a worker where we could find Thor and leaded me through the many halls of the palace. After a few minutes we arrived at a room, the doors were open. Inside I saw Thor and a woman. She looked just a few years older than me. " Thor, you have a visitor." Heimdall told him and he turned around to look who it was. " Lady Grace!" he smiled coming up for a hug. " What brings you here?" he asked me. " I'm checking up on you. Fury's orders." I told him. I thought Fury had said he knew someone was coming. " Right, I had forgotten about that. Lots of things on my mind." he said. " May I introduce you." he started and brought me up to the women. I knew her. " Jane Foster." I said. She was an impressive scientist. " Oh wow, you know my name." she said. " Of course I do," I told her " you're like, so smart. I'm-" " Grace Stark." she smiled. We shook hands, and Thor was a bit confused to how we had just met each other. Part of my mission was checking up on Loki as well, Fury wanted to know what his punishment was. " What happened to Loki?" I asked Thor. " He's in prison, for the rest of his life." he told me. " His whole life?" I asked confused. He nodded " Father was hard on him, but he deserves it." I nodded. " Can I see him?" I asked. He sighed " If you really want to."