Chapter 15 - Unwanted Surprise

Chapter 15 – Unwanted Surprise

“You heard me, I quit!” I shout, storming out of the office and down the hallway. I enter the lift, and rub my eyes, sighing heavily and feeling like the world is on my shoulders.

I didn’t mean to quit, but the job was driving me insane. After people found out about Liam and me, they were constantly bugging me. I couldn’t finish my work, make a coffee or even go to the toilet without someone gluing themselves to me and following me around like a lost sheep. Even my boss was treating me different, so I quit.

The wind sweeps my hair backwards out of my face as I wait on the London pavements for a taxi to drive past. I don’t really understand how I feel, whether its regret, freedom or annoyance towards my action today. I shouldn’t have done it, especially in this day and age where it is extremely hard to get a job, but I’m not the type of person who is patient with this sort of stuff.

A taxi pulls over, and I hop in telling the driver my address. I sit back in the cushy seat and stare out of the window at the busy street. People rush up and down the sidewalk, some stressing out with mobiles attached to their ears, others looking happy while swinging carrier bags around. This makes me smile to see the different types of people.

I think back to last night, when I thought I heard what Liam had said just before I fell asleep. Obviously he didn’t mean for me to hear, and I haven’t mentioned it to him. In fact, we acted completely like normal this morning when we both awoke and had breakfast and also the drive to drop me off. I don’t dare tell him in case I was dreaming, or I ruin everything. If he wants me to know he’ll tell me, I’m sure. I’m trying to act cool and calm about it, but really I can’t get the thought out of my head.

When I arrive home it’s dead quiet. Liam’s out at the studios with the boys till three, so I have a couple more hours. Luckily he wasn’t planning on picking me up, which means I don’t have to tell him the big news until he’s home.

I pig out on a tub of ice cream in front of the TV while watching Toy Story 2. I even start crying after a little while, not because of the film but because of how lonely I feel. I hate feeling lonely, but being sat at home right now alone, I can’t help but want some with me to be cuddling or laughing with. I prefer to have company than to be alone.

In the end I call Jen, hoping she will come round to fill the empty and lonely part of me, but she doesn’t pick up after seven calls. I consider calling Liam, although I don’t want to interrupt him working. Just as I’m about to call my boss to tell him I wasn’t being serious earlier, I have the perfect person to keep me company.

“Hey Lexi! How are you doing?” Elise says, stepping into the house.

I smile warmly and lead her into the kitchen. “I’m…well…I wasn’t not too good to be honest before you came. I’ve just quit my job and I was feeling really lonely. But now you’re here I feel much better thanks, and you?”

Elise returns my smile. “Aw dear. I’m sure another job opportunity you want will come along. I’m fine though, thank you. Everything with Niall is slowly working out, we can’t be together obviously. But that doesn’t stop us from spending time together and um well, making out.”

I giggle and hand Elise a cup of tea. We sit at the breakfast bar.

“That’s really great Elise. Niall’s a lucky guy, and you’re a lucky girl. Made for each other!”

Elise pushes her hair back over her shoulders and shrugs. “I’m the lucky one. Apart from Niall, barely any other guys have ever shown an interest in me. There are a few other girls in my year that most of the guys like, the total bitches if I’m honest. No guy has ever liked me the way Niall does. It just shocks me quite a bit. He’s very overprotective too. It’s so sweet.”