Chapter 23 - A New Friend

Chapter 23 – A New Friend

My jaw drops as Cat walks into the room, smiling broadly. She’s absolutely beautiful, I can understand why Zayn had to see her again that first time he saw her. Wow.

She’s wearing casual clothing, jeans, a plain t-shirt and Converse. Her jet black hair is scraped back into a scruffy ponytail that suits her and her blue eyes are wide and warm. Cat looks really uncomfortable as she walks across the room with Zayn super glued to her side. She keeps a permanent smile stretched across her flawless face, and sticks a hand out to greet Louis, who shakes it and politely says hi.

“I’m Cat, nice to meet you,” she says to Louis is a perfect voice. I instantly feel jealous. Why can’t I look as beautiful as her?!

Cat moves down the line, saying hi to all the boys, Elise, Jen and I. I can’t even imagine how nervous she must be feeling right now. Luckily I met all the boys at once and didn’t have to go through the awkwardness of meeting them after I met Liam. Poor Cat has to meet all of Zayn’s friends at once, but she seems to be handling it pretty well.

She tosses her ponytail back over her shoulder and discreetly pulls up her jeans a tad before she reaches me. Cat grins, sticks out her hand and introduces herself once again. I reply with a smile and she moves onto Jen. I look over at Zayn, who looks completely mesmerised by this girl that holds his heart. It reminds me of how Niall looks at Elise, and how Harry looks at Jen. I’ve never noticed if Liam looks at me that way but I hope he does.

“Zayn’s told us a lot about you Cat. He didn’t lie when he said you’re beautiful,” Louis says, with a quick wink. Zayn smacks the back of Louis’ head gently and Louis screams.

“Stop it Louis. She’s mine, get your own,” Zayn says with a smile.

Louis raises an eyebrow and sticks his tongue out at Zayn. “Actually mate, I do have my own. The date I went on with her yesterday was AMAZING. She’s hot and she’s funny. So don’t worry, I won’t be stealing your girl when I’ve got my own little chick.”

I flick Louis’s nose and congratulate me. He gives me a gentle hug and kisses my cheek.

“What was that for?!” I ask.

“You’re my best friend, I always kiss my best friends’ cheeks!” Louis protests.

Out of the corner of my eye I see Liam wince slightly, but I blow him a kiss to show I’m thinking of him. Louis huffs and goes back to describing the date to Niall, while Elise and Jen talk hair accessories. Harry, Liam and Zayn start having a row over something that doesn’t matter in the slightest. I look over at Cat. She’s looking extremely scared and lost.

“I bet this is a bit intimidating, right?” I say, making her jump and turn to me.

Cat laughs and nods. “I was so nervous to meet everyone, and I thought I’d make a bad impression. Zayn reassured me it’d all be fine, but I was scared you guys wouldn’t like me and find me annoying. Even my dad finds me annoying!”

“You’re not annoying! I’m sure your dad doesn’t find you annoying,” I say while everyone else makes conversation between each other.

Cat shrugs and sits down next to me on the bench. “Well I doubt he’ll have walked out on me cos he enjoys my company.”

I suddenly feel sorry for her. I know what it feels like to have parents who walk out on you. My parents had quite mastered the art until of course they came back and played at being mummy and daddy again. After my daily phone calls to Zoe and Max, it seems they’ve forgiven them although I’m still considering. I love them, they’re my parents, but she missed all of my childhood and from the age of thirteen I was looking after my siblings. It wasn’t easy at all, and in a way I wish I’d grown up a different way.