Chapter 3

Callie's POV

When I wake up the next morning I let out a satisfied groan as I stretch my legs out in the bed. That was easily the best night of sleep I'd had since getting to college, and all I want to do is stay in this comfortable ass bed forever. I would campaign to get one put in my dorm, but it's probably the size of my whole damn room.

I turn my head to check on Billie, seeing that she's still fast asleep next to me. Her silver hair is a mess, covering most of her face and cascading over the fluffy pillow underneath her head. She looks pretty adorable to be honest, but I feel like if I told her that she'd hate it.

I roll over to grab my phone and find a bunch of texts Audrey, angry that I never texted her to let her know I got home safe.

Auds: Dude, did you get back to the dorms safe?

Auds: You know the rules, we text each other. Tell me you're safe

Auds: Okay, I stalked you on find my friends and it says you're still here, does that mean you got lucky or that you passed out?

Auds: Wake up before I start busting down every door in this house to find out who you slept with

I hold back a laugh at the last message so I don't wake Billie up and text her back quickly, because knowing Audrey, that wasn't an empty threat.

Callie: Sorry I forgot to text you babes. Forgot my dorm key so I just crashed in one of the spare bedrooms with Billie. Nothing more than sleeping. I assume I can't say the same for you? ;)

Auds: Bitch, you freak me out by not texting me then don't even have a juicy story to tell to make up for it? And actually, me and Matt just talked and made out a lil before sleeping

I raise my eyebrows slightly in surprise at the last part of her message. Audrey's had a string of one night stands recently, and while I'm the last person on the planet who would ever shame someone for that, it's nice to see her with a guy who's clearly interested in more than just sex.

Callie: I want more details later xx

            I set my phone down again then rest my head back on the pillow, needing a bit more rest before I can consider getting up and doing anything productive. I run through the list of things I need to do this weekend before classes start again on Monday and sigh softly to myself, not feeling any of it.

            A little while later, my thoughts are interrupted by the sounds of Billie starting to stir. I hear the sheets shuffling, followed by a quiet groan. I look over to her side of the bed again, this time being met by those piercing blue eyes I remember so vividly from last night.

            "Morning," she mumbles then closes her eyes again. "Sleep well?"

            "Super well. Thanks for convincing me to crash here. I'm getting real tired of my creaky loft bed," I reply and bury my face into the soft pillow again.

            "Loft beds? Fuck college."

            I laugh in response and shift around to lay on my back, gazing up at the ceiling. "Nah. I fuck with college."

            "Why?" she asks and I hear her shift around a bit before I feel her eyes on me. It's not a mocking why, she's obviously curious about my genuine answer, which I appreciate.

            "It challenges me in ways I can't get anywhere else. Not just academically, but also socially and politically. I meet all sorts of new people with new perspectives and expand my world view. I learn new things every day, but this time around it's things I actually choose to learn about. I have structure and an endgame to strive towards, but it's also flexible and on my terms, you know? I could switch things up if I feel like it. Sure, if I wanted to make a drastic choice like move to Pre-Med or something I'd have to do a ton of work, but I know I have the option, and that's pretty sick. There are just so many doors for me to open because of it, and I can't wait to open every fucking one of them," I stop talking when I realize I'm rambling a bit and turn my head to look over at Billie to find her watching me with a soft smile gracing her full lips, clearly listening intently.