Chapter 5

Callie's POV

It's Friday now, and I'm sitting in a Lyft on the way to Liam's apartment for the kickback Billie invited me to. Usually for something like this I'd have Audrey by my side, but she's out with Matt for what feels like the hundredth time this week.

I'm running a little late, having gotten lost in the book I was reading until Billie FaceTimed to ask me where the hell I am. I lied and said my roommate suddenly needed help with something, knowing she'd call me a nerd if I told her real reason, then got ready as quickly as possible.

Now I'm here, nervous for tonight because Billie made me promise to get drunk with her, and I tend to not have a filter when I'm drunk. What if I tell her about my little crush and she doesn't want to be friends anymore? What if she thinks I'm creepy and kicks me out of the party? It's happened before. Junior year when I got drunk I told Stephanie Hammond that I wouldn't mind kissing her and she called me a creep before banning me from her 'Christian home'.

Although, that was on Stephanie being an asshole, and Billie isn't like that. I still worry about that kinda of thing...getting publicly shamed for your sexuality in a room full of your your peers does shit to you, even though most people took my side in the end.

The car pulls up in front of a very normal looking apartment complex in a very average looking neighborhood, a complete turnaround from the last hangout I went to. I thank the driver then get out and head inside, checking my texts with Billie and Liam to find the floor and apartment number.

"4D," I mumble to myself as I walk into the lobby, only to find the elevator with an 'Out of Order' sign taped to the doors. "Perfect," I groan and look around for the stairs.

After four flights of stairs, I find myself in front of Liam's door, mildly out of breath. I can hear music and voices inside, but it doesn't sound like that many people. I take a minute to catch my breath from all the stair climbing before knocking on the door, loud enough so it can be heard over the music.

"I'll get it!" I hear Billie shout excitedly, followed by quick footsteps and the door swinging open.

She has that usual cool, uninterested look on her face, even though I could hear how excited she was before opening the door. I could tease her about it, but I decide to let it slide and just internally gloat. She's eager to see me.

"Hey, B," I say and walk in when she steps aside to let me in. She's wearing her usual overly baggy outfit, which I feel like she pulls off like nobody else could dream of. If I'm being honest though, Billie could wear anything and my gay ass brain would still think she looks amazing.

"You're so late, bro. I'm already fucking crossed," she says as she shuts the door and I laugh.

"Sorry. Give me some shots and I'll work on catching up."

She grins at that and takes a hold of my arm, leading me to where the drinks are I assume.

"Hey, Callie!" Liam calls out and I look over to see him waving at me from the couch as we pass by the living room. I smile and wave back, genuinely happy to see him again. He's sitting with a group of about six other people who I don't recognize, I don't think they were at Matt's house.

Billie drops my arm when we get into the small kitchen and grabs a bottle of vodka, pouring me a shot and spilling a fair amount onto the counter.

"Fuck," she mumbles and stares at the spill for a few seconds blankly before shrugging it off and passing me the glass. "I'll join you for this one, but after this you're on your own because I already had a shit ton." I watch her pour herself a shot, spilling a bit again. Maybe I should handle the bottle?