Chapter 19

sorry do you ever just get annoyed by how pretty she is, like, who allowed this?

Callie's POV

"You're hogging all the ice cream, dude!" Audrey complains as she tries to snatch the carton of Ben & Jerry's from me. I grunt in annoyance and turn away from her, protecting the ice cream with my body.

"Fuck off, this is my pity fest."

Audrey and I are in her dorm room, having one of our famous pity parties while her roommate is out. We're sat on her bed with piles of snacks and blankets around us, and an empty bottle of wine on the floor. We have a second bottle already opened beside us, and even more stashed away in case we really need it. Her laptop sits between us and we're watching some dumb movie, the way we always do.

We've been doing these pity parties for a while now, the first time was back when we were in 7th grade, when Jake Wallace 'broke up' with Audrey in front of everyone at her birthday party like an asshole.

As soon as everyone left we gathered up all the leftover cake, chips, ice cream and anything else we could find then went to her room to watch shitty movies that made us laugh like idiots on her laptop.

Since then, we've made it a tradition to do the same whenever one of us is sad, for whatever reason. As we got older we added alcohol to the mix, and sometimes a little bit of weed if we're feeling particularly in need of an escape.

We've had them for all sorts of reasons - bad grades, one sides crushes, a loss in the family, anything that makes us sad basically. No matter how big or small the reason is, if one of us needs a pity party, the other one is ready and there.

"When are you going to tell me what this is about?" Audrey asks with a pout and nudges me gently. "I don't get why you won't."

"I just can't," I mumble then have another large spoonful of chocolate fudge brownie ice cream, my favorite. "I'm sorry."

I wish I could tell her why I demanded a pity party seemingly out of the blue, but it's because I'm sad about Billie, and she can't know about that. Billie has made that painfully clear.

It was last night that Billie brought up the idea of us taking a break while she goes on tour, and I've felt like shit ever since. We stopped talking about it after I asked to, and after that neither of us brought it up for the rest of the night or this morning when we woke up.

"I want to help you." She keeps pouting and rests her head on my shoulder while rubbing my arm sweetly. "But I cant if you don't tell me what's wrong."

"You know I would if I could, Auds. But I can't, I'm sorry. Can we just focus on the movie?" I ask and she groans.

"You actually want to watch the rest of this?" she asks and I give her a confused look.

"What's wrong with Sharktopus?" I ask and she laughs, rolling her eyes playfully.

"Fine, but if we're really going to watch this train wreck, I need more alcohol."

She reaches for the second bottle and I grab my cup from the windowsill. "More for me too please."

I think I've thrown my whole 'taking a break from alcohol' idea out the window at this point. I need it to let loose occasionally, especially when there's shit with Billie piled on top of my workload from school and my job. I won't let it get out of hand again.

Towards the end of the movie Audrey and I are both totally drunk, nearing the stage of being wasted, and laughing our asses off while watching some random dude in the movie get eaten by the sharktopus.