Chapter 21

Was gonna post this tomorrow but I got lit and felt inspired and ended up finishing it tonight lol

Callie's POV
1 night until tour...

Billie and I are in her bed together, laying side by side with my phone between us and an earbud each. It's the middle of the night and we only just recently got back from a night out with some of Bil's closest friends that she wanted to see before leaving tomorrow morning.

It was pretty chill, about ten other people with some blunts at Liam's apartment. Not everyone there knew about me and Billie, but towards the end of the night it was only me, Billie, Audrey, Liam and Matt so we could be as affectionate as we wanted to be. After Liam and Matt found out, Billie decided to let me tell Audrey. I didn't have the heart to tell her she already knew, and Audrey just played along by acting surprised.

Usually Maggie and Patrick ask me to sleep on the couch bed when I stay the night, but because it's me and Billie's last night together for a little while, they gave us a pass. We're listening to one of the playlists we put together a while ago when we were at the park one night when Billie was feeling overwhelmed and needed a break. It's our favorite playlist to listen to when we're together, which means it's my favorite playlist in general. I always listen to it to fall asleep when I'm not with Billie.

I'm going to listen to it every night when she's away.

I close my eyes and think back to that night in the park, when we made this masterpiece. It was cold, so we were bundled up in layers of oversized hoodies and cuddled together in a mess of blankets.

Billie had spotify open on her phone and I watched her screen while resting my head on her chest, helping her add songs that we thought fit the mood.

It came together perfectly, and we spent the next hour and a half playing it back while holding each other as the music took over.

I can practically feel the cool breeze and hear the bushes rustling as a result of it. It wasn't cold though, because I had one of Billie's hoodies on and an arm around me as she held me close, enveloped in her warmth.

"What are you thinking about?" Billie asks softly and my eyes flutter open. For a split second I'm confused to see Billie's room around us instead of the little park I was thinking about.

"Our spot," I mumble back and turn my head slightly so I can look at her. "I can't decide if going there by myself while you're gone will make me feel better or worse."

"I'm gonna miss you so much," she says sadly and I frown, reaching up to rub her cheek gently.

"I'm going to miss you too," I say quietly and press my forehead against hers, locking our eyes. "But we'll be okay."

A look of uncertainty flashes in Billie's eyes and it makes my heart clench, but she reaches down to grab my other hand, intertwining our fingers.

"We'll be better than okay, baby," she whispers and I smile softly. "It'll make us stronger."

"I love you," I say quietly and close my eyes.

I haven't said it outright that way since that first time when I was drunk. I think it, but I usually don't say it because I don't want Billie to feel the need to rush herself into saying it back. Right now, though, I really need her to know I mean it.

"I love you too."

My eyes fly open in surprise.

"You what?" I ask softly, scared my ears are just playing a cruel trick on me. I wasn't expecting a response, or at least not that as a response.