Chapter 4

Billie's POV

A bit before eight I shout out to Finneas that I'm leaving then hop in my car and drive off towards Callie's arcade. I sing along to some music on the radio and get into it, dancing in my seat and drumming my fingers on the steering wheel. Before long, I'm stuck in some good, old-fashioned LA traffic.

Fuckin' LA traffic.

I groan in frustration and lean back in my seat. I'm really annoyed, partly because of the obvious, traffic fucking sucks, but also because I'm weirdly excited to see Callie again. I say weirdly because I don't usually get this hyped about seeing some girl I met less than a week ago. We just had this instant connection, one of those rare friendships that clicked into place immediately. The way they do when you're way younger.

The car next to me honks and I look over to see some girl around my age waving at me excitedly from the passenger seat. She motions for me to the roll the window down and I chuckle, doing just that.

"Whattup?" I call out and she lets out a familiar little squeal. I hear that noise a fair amount from fans.

"I love you!" she says excitedly and I laugh, seeing her face flush bright red. "Sorry, that was such a lame thing to say."

"I love you too, don't worry about it, dude. What's your name?"

"Jane."

"Cute name," I wink playfully and she blushes even brighter, making me smirk. I have to say, the effect I have on girls always amuses me. Boys tend to at least try to act subtler with their excitement but the girls don't hide it, getting all flustered the same way some do for Bieber and other teen heartthrobs. I get a lot of "I'm straight, but Billie Eilish could get it" comments too, which I always appreciate. And then, of course, there's my female fans who aren't straight, and they don't hide their feelings at all, which I don't mind. I love my gaybies.

I like having an effect on people, whether it be from lust or intimidation. I like being wanted and I like being feared, what can I say? It's fun, whether they're fans, friends, strangers or whatever the fuck in between. Some people are more fun than others; Callie, for example. It's fun making her squirm, because I know it's because I'm me, not because I'm a celebrity and my status is what's getting to her.

It's pretty easy to make her blush, I just have to throw in some pet name or occasionally make a mild sexual innuendo. For a college girl who's partied quite a lot in her life, she's still pretty squeamish when it comes to sexual references and flirting, which is hilarious and lowkey adorable.

"Can I get a selfie?" the fan asks hopefully and I check to make sure the cars in front of me still aren't moving at all before nodding and leaning out of the window.

She leans backwards out of her window and lifts up her phone, snapping a picture after she gets the angle right and I make a face.

"Thank you! Can't wait for new music," she says sweetly and I blow her a kiss before closing my window.

I love meeting fans, and while that interaction made me happy, it also reminded me that if someone recognizes me while I'm out with Callie, she'll learn who I am. Her learning about who I really am wouldn't the end of the world, and I know it's going to happen inevitably, but I'm going to try to prolong that for as long as possible.

While the traffic still isn't moving an inch, I look around the parts of my car I can reach for anything I could use to disguise myself with. One of Liam's baseball caps is on the floor in front of the passenger's seat and I reach down to grab it and put it on. When I turn around I spot a black hoodie in the backseat and take note to change into that, because it will draw less attention than the massive, bright green hoodie I'm currently in. I think about adding sunglasses for a second but then realize that would probably attract more attention, because it's way past sundown.