Chapter 7

Just when I thought things couldn't get any worse, of course, let's screw with Rayla and her broken life. I felt the rage brew inside me. My fingers slowly rolled themselves up into my fist. Tris was just barely touching Liam's body. Their faces about an inch apart. Tris was smiling with a flirtatious demeanor that seemed to entrance him. He was thoroughly enjoying the conversation.

It sent waves of heat through my body making my feet inch closer to them. I found a hand wrap around my arm pulling my body back. I stumbled in shock. What the heck! I faced Josh with an eye of fury into his cold-ember eyes.

"Please," he whispered. "Let it go."

I looked from my brother to Tris and Liam. Neither of them even looked up from their conversation and much less didn't see us walk out. They stared into each other's eyes with a curiosity and burning passion. I felt my heart sink remembering what it was once like. To feel. To love. To feel totally addicted to their smile, their eyes, and even their laugh.

I sighed letting the anger rush past me. I felt the bottle filling up carrying a thousand painful memories, feelings, and thoughts. My anger slipped in escaping my trembling body. I let my fists relax and the anger subsided. Yet, the pain never vanished. The pit in my stomach didn't go with it either.

I stood there feeling betrayal and a sense of abandonment overwhelm my already broken heart. It was painful, and it was gut wrenching. I couldn't stop it and I couldn't hide it. The pain was too overwhelming to bottle, so I let it sit there. I let it sit there to stab at my wounded heart piercing into my happiness and my scars. I thought she was my friend.

"Let's go," Jeremy urged grabbing my arm. I was tired of being pulled around like a barbie doll. I snatched my arm back making my way to the car. Danny stared at me with bewilderment.

"Is Tris coming?" he asked resting his hands on the wheel of the car.

"She can find her own ride," I snapped.

I saw his eyes flinch in response. "Oh, okay. Yeah."

"Just start the car please. I want to go home," I whispered.

He started the car and I felt my body vibrate to the hum of the car. The ride home was an awkward ride to say the least. Nobody spoke – not once. Even the music was off. Danny kept his eyes trained on the road while I debated my cold-hearted broken life out the window. It sucked. I sucked.

About fifteen minutes later he had dropped us off at our apartment. Neither of us said a word. Josh and Jeremy said a quick thank you, but I said nothing. I slammed the door shut rushing up the stairs into the apartment. I just wanted to be alone. I wanted to cry.

By the time Jeremy and Josh had come into the apartment, I was chugging down a bottle of wine. I wanted an escape. I didn't want to think or feel. I just wanted the pain to go away. I started to cry feeling the pain and the hurt run through my body leaving a scar along my heart.

It felt like someone had dropped a bag of rocks into my heart and I was sinking. I was sinking further into the darkness. My ship was sinking from the massive storms of my pain and I just wanted to let go of the wheel for a bit. I wanted to just let the storm carry me while I waited and hid. I wanted to be free of it all. I wanted to stop fighting.

"You okay?" Josh asked cautiously.

I smiled at him twirling myself in glee. "You know," I said in between my twirls, "everyone asks me that. And you know what?" I honestly at that point wasn't even talking to Jeremy or Josh. I was talking to myself. I was coming to terms with myself.