Chapter 30

I stood outside the room, unable to watch from up close. Darren was giving Josh his blood; an IV ran between their forearms connecting them together. I couldn't feel myself breathe as the blood began to pour into Josh's arm. My chest heaved and I felt the smallest amount of air seep into my lungs. I let go feeling a dryness in my chest from the lack of air. I took a deep breath feeling a chilling relief wash over my lungs.

My ears seemed to be ringing like there was a constant piercing in the air. I clenched my eyes hoping to block it out with my mind. The ringing sent a stab of pain into my forehead making me feel bilious. I grasped the window seal firmly that edged along the window panel. Dust particles gathered under my hand, a fluff feel with small underlying solid particles. I grasped harder trying to fight the immersing pain through my skull.

In the swiftness that it came, the sound faded from my ears releasing my skull of its captivity. I swallowed the liquid along my dry throat. It left a rough, but scratchy surface that made me cough fiercely in reply.

I stood firmly removing my grasp from the window seal. I looked down at the dust that formulated onto my palm, grimacing at its sight. I patted it on my jeans, that were now stained with my blood from the torture and the crash. It looked like I dumped them into a bath of dirty-red dye. Which made me wonder...why didn't they changed me into a hospital gown?

Nurses passed me, glancing at me suspiciously but said nothing. It made me feel uncomfortable or somewhat alien to them. Goosebumps shivered up my spine making me look back to the room. Darren was snagging the tube out from his arm while Elijah did the same to Josh. I waited anxiously for a sign of movement from my brother like he would just wake up from a bad dream. It didn't happen.

When they finally finished cleaning up, Elijah took a step out from the room. He faced me, but I didn't to him. I stared into the room staring at the body of my brother still waiting, hoping for him to wake.

He placed a hand on my shoulder. "It worked," he said soothingly.

I turned my head towards him. His eyes portrayed a dismal feeling over me, a soft-delicate look to them. "How do you know?"

"If it didn't, he would have already died."

A nurse passed, glancing at the room briefly before swiftly making way down the hallway. My eyes followed her out of confusion. "Why do they keep looking at us like that?"

"I paid the doctor a fine amount of money to keep our presence and actions here a down low. The nurses, I presume, have been spreading rumors about how some of you miraculously healed yourselves."

It clicked. "They're scared of us," I declared.

He tilted his head with a squint in his left eye, his eyebrows tensed out of questioning, "You seem surprised?"

"I...," I stuttered. I wasn't sure what to say because, in fact, I was surprised. I just didn't think or haven't even began to think about what others would think of me now that I am, well, alien. It wasn't something on my to do list to consider. "I just didn't think about what others would think is all."

"Well, that's something you're going to have to get used to. We keep our powers hidden as much as we can, but sometimes that can't be avoided. When people see things that aren't normal or are different, they are quick to become afraid, or worried. It's a natural instinct and not something to be surprised about. Things that are different beacons an impulse to become curious yet defensive, because they aren't knowledgeable yet if it can hurt them. Some people remain defensive because they are too scared to become curious to learn. That's just how animals survive."