Chapter 25

"Elijah!" Darren screamed. He ran towards his lifeless body, gathering around it behind the others. Grief set in, erupting a pain inside us. I looked to Darren, his face once stern and constructed was now fragile and delicate. Tears dripped from his eyes slowly gliding down his cheeks. He looked pale, almost lifeless.

He was kneeling next to Elijah's body, his hands and knees submerged into a pool of blood. He raised his hand outstretching it towards Elijah's eyes. "I'm sorry father," he whispered before closing Elijah's eyelids shut, leaving a trace of blood among them. He bowed his head and closed his eyes to mumble a soft prayer. When he opened them, there was a fire burning inside them. The pain seemed to vanish being replaced with a hatred, a vengeance, that swept over him.

Darren stood weakly with a haze of tears still gliding over his eyes. Still looking over Elijah's defeated body, he spoke softly but forcefully, "You're going to regret that." His head turned to face them, his eyes glaring into Jonah's with a prominent stare.

Darren's eyes shifted from a mossy green-robin blue to a fiery orange. His body submerged to the power becoming a human fire ball of flames. The others stood, following Darren's lead. Their eyes all shifted, erupting into radiant flames.

They surrounded Elijah's body in a growing radiant flame. They were ready for the fight. They were prepared to die along each other's side, but not me. I didn't want to die. For once, I was afraid to fight. I was afraid of losing everything I had. I didn't want to lose my brothers, Darren, and the family that I now possess. The Sixers had accepted that today would be their last, but I couldn't accept that. I didn't want to die today.

Darren took a step forward, the others following his steps in response. "Kill them!" Jonah ordered. The Sixers crept closer, a rage inside them. To Jonah's order, suits activated glowing the night sky in radiating colors. The first attack came from the Huntsmen who sent pulsing electric bolts towards the Sixers.

My eyes turned a fluorescent purple, my shield blocking the incoming bolt. The shield shattered into pieces, breaking the bond of energy that held it together. The Sixers responded by sending waves of fire balls towards the Elites, glowing the sky in a fiery orange. Colors erupted into the night sky declaring the beginning of the battle.

Electric bolts and water shards came from all directions. I created a shield quickly trying to block the incoming bolt towards Carter. I pushed it towards him, gliding it with the right amount of force across the air to let it pass him and block the attack. When it shattered, I sent another one towards the water shards, barely smashing into Maya. I felt the energy of the atoms inside my body, I could feel every one of them inside me. Together, with the energy burning inside me, I could make them cooperate into a uniform shield. I could pull them together, compacting them from a binding energy. I waved my hands popping up a shield, gliding it alongside Darren as it shattered from an incoming bolt. The atoms dispersed, falling back to their original positions.

Unlike Maya and Ava, I was unable to produce shields from a distance. I couldn't bind them properly unless they were close to me. Everyone else could do it with ease, but I still hadn't mastered it quite yet. My shields were even weaker than theirs and smaller. Their shields could last for a couple attacks unlike mine that shattered at the first point of attack. There was still so much that I had to learn, and that put them and me into a dangerous situation. I was a noob with limited ability, unable to give them a proper defense.

Attack after attack, I sent a shield to aid my family, desperately trying to keep them alive. The attacks grew and I was barely able to produce shields before the attacks hit the Sixers. We were outnumbered and I could barely keep up with current attacks. Everything has a limit, I remember Darren explaining. I didn't know what my limit was, but I could feel the energy slowly depleting inside me. If we wanted to survive, we needed to figure something out quick because I couldn't keep up with this for long.