Chapter 25

There were barbed wires to each side of me that were coiled into a fence and bent inwards towards a basketball court enclosure. A pale stone building loomed in front of me with bars along the windows.

Guards and dogs were searching the inside of Darren's 2016 white Camaro with two black racing stripes on the hood.

"You're clear," one of the guards replied. "Just head on inside and prepare for another security check."

"Can my...uh..boyfriend stay in the car and wait to pick me up?" I asked. I didn't know how this worked and it was just by luck that visiting hours started an hour or so ago.

"As long as the car is kept off, yes."

"Thanks," I replied shyly still unsure and little nervous.

Darren took my hand softly letting his fingers weave between mine, "You sure you want to do this?"

I took a deep breath looking at the building in front of me – Shenandoah Prison. I had been wanting to do this for a while now, but I never had the courage to. I didn't want to go not because I was afraid of him, but because I was scared to face the reality that my parents were dead. I was afraid he wouldn't want to see me or more so what he would say. I don't even know if he accepted me as one of his visitors. With the letters, they were pieces to my recovery, but I knew I would never get over the pain unless I faced the man who killed them. I was never going to admit to myself what happened until I met with the face that made it happen.

My chest tightened from the constriction of air into my lungs. I had realized I wasn't breathing. I took a deep breath staring into the walls of lost and broken souls, murders, and demons. I had to do this.

"Yeah," I replied taking a step forward letting Darren fall behind me. I splashed through puddles along the concrete sidewalk leading to the entrance. My vans were already wet and sprayed with mud while my hair was still wet and dripping underneath my hoodie. I had changed into my ripped jeans and a dark blue hooded fleece sweatshirt, so I didn't look like a total hobo.

The rain was lightly pouring making it look like one of those prison break out movies where everything happens with some pouring rain and lightning. There were towers along the sides of the compound, which I figured to be look out towers for inmates. However, they look rusted and old and nobody seemed to be perched inside them.

I opened the door taking my hoodie off as I entered the facility. I looked around at the guards, the two canines, and medal detectors that were in front of me. I gulped trying to push down the dryness in my throat. I followed behind a lady who looked like she could have been a doper. Her dark black ratty hair could have used a wash and I could smell sweat from her body. I grimaced at the smell when it swept by my nose. It was distasteful.

I took out my wallet from my jeans and placed it in a white bin on the conveyor belt. I didn't have much of anything else anyways. I was ushered through the metal detector breathing calmly and slightly praying it wouldn't go off. After everything that had happened with gaining powers and the Miller's, I didn't want to draw too much attention to myself. I already had eyes glazing over at me. There aren't too many young adults, especially a white female like me, going to prison visitation hours.

I smiled gently at the woman who patted me down trying to remain as calm as possible. When I was cleared, I went and grabbed my wallet from the bin. I went to the line that formed in front of a small window to request visitation hour access to inmates. I got in line behind the odor bearing woman trying hard not to intake anymore of her sweat scent. Ahead of me, there were four thirty to forty-year-old women and only two men who looked to be in their late twenties. I, of course to no surprise, was the youngest and most out of place. That just made me even more nervous.