Chapter 34

We all stood behind the door waiting anxiously for their arrival. I was more scared than I had ever felt before. It wasn't for my own safety, but for my brothers. Josh had still not learned to use his powers, so he sat idly by at Jeremy's side. They were defenseless against the Wierun's and if it came down to it, neither of them would survive. Only the Sixers and I had the capability of protecting them and if we failed, who knows what would happen to them.

Ava was shooting me death glares from the sofa chair. She knew, they all knew, that I had put them in danger for the second time. I tried to not let it bother me, because there were much more important things to worry about, but it did. I needed to focus and be prepared for when they arrived, when I needed to fight. Yet, I was distracted by the guilt inside me. It made me feel uneasy, out of place. I could feel everyone's stares punching up against me. It felt like I was continuously being knocked down through their stares unable to run and escape them. It wasn't any physical pain, but the mental pain that sent me off edge. I didn't need them to say anything to know what they were thinking.

"You okay?" Darren asked from behind me.

I turned to face him, looking into his glistening eyes. "You've never asked me that before."

He stared back with a hint of confusion in his eyes and his eyebrows raised. "Would you rather I ask more often?"

I shook my head, "No. It's a stupid question to ask."

"Why is that? How can it be a stupid question to know if you're okay?"

"Most people ask it as a courtesy not as a genuine question. Nobody really wants to know nor care to know. They have their own problems to deal with and don't need the extra burden on their shoulders. It's a stupid question, because most people always lie. They fake a smile and say "good, how are you?" but I have never meant that, not once. Nobody wants a true answer. If they did, they would listen."

"Well, I'm listening," he soothed.

I bit my lip feeling ashamed for the feelings inside me. I wanted to run from him, run from my emotions, but neither of those were an option anymore. I wanted to be strong, and around Darren, I needed to be. He has always asked me to talk to him or to ask for help but being the leader's girlfriend required me to be strong. I wanted to prove myself to them, to him that I could hold my own. I wanted to prove that I belonged here. With Carter, I didn't have the pressure or anything to prove to him. Darren, I wanted to prove to him that I was worth it, that I was strong.

"Why won't you talk to me?" he replied softly with a hurt in his voice.

"I...I just want you to think I'm capable of handling myself." I bit my lip in shame.

He looked down at me, a soft smile crossing over his face. "Rayla, you don't ever need to prove yourself to me. When I ask for you to talk, I mean it. I will never think of you any less if you need to talk to me. I care for you, and I want you to talk to me. I can't help you if you don't let me."

"Sometimes, I don't want the help."

"Then, I'll be there to listen, and I will do whatever you need me to do. I just need you to tell me what you want or need. That's all I'm asking of you. If you need your space, tell me that and I will give you it. Shutting me out helps neither of us and I want to be there for you when you need it. Okay?"

"Okay," I whispered.

He lifted his hand to cup my chin, "I love you Rayla Jackson. Don't ever forget that." He kissed my forehead sparking an electrifying energy inside me. He was a prince kissing the beast that lied inside me awakening the better part of me. Instantly, everything that dragged me down seemed to vanish from his touch.