Baby... Beam?

Forth scratched his head. He eyed Davin for a few seconds before he turned back to the items displayed on the rack.

He is currently in... What is this? Is it called pharmacy? Maybe.

Forth's mother had told him about the teething episodes the baby had, at least a month back. But Forth was so busy going back and forth from his university and hospital back then.

So it's either Forth totally didn't see it, or he didn't have the information registered in his head.

He won't be surprised if it was the latter.

His mother just messaged him to get some baby food for Davin. But she didn't specify which one. Forth already tried to call her, but to no avail.

She perhaps had left the phone in the bedroom and walked downstairs.

Forth sighed.

Davin hadn't stay continuously for a long period of time with him, ever. Usually it was his mother, or Pern before she's gone, who would feed him food.

Only then, was Davin given to him.

Pern refused to let Forth attempt to cook after he nearly got her kitchen burned down when he tried to cook a sunny-side-up egg. Forth was only in charge of looking after Davin, when he's already full and happy, or simple sleepy.

Forth turned back to the little boy.

"Do you know which one you eat, baby?" Forth asked, earning a look from a young man around his age.

The man was standing beside him for a while now. "How old is he?"

Only then, Forth noticed the man's presence. He widened his eyes when he realised who that was.

Beam Baramee, third year Medical student.
A well known doctor to be, for his calm and kind nature.

Just like his name, Beam seemed like he was beaming. With light, and such.

Forth was close with one of Beam's best friends. They used to hang out together a few times back in freshmen's year.

But with both of them pretty busy with their lives, and the fact that their faculties were on opposite sides of university, Forth never really see him around afterwards.

"Forth?"

"Beam,"

Forth was stunned. Beam chuckled.

Davin seemed to be affected by the chuckle and he patted his fist on the soft covered holder in front of him. He giggled and grinned widely too.

Beam walked pass Forth, towards Davin. He crouched down to the baby's eyes level, in front of the stroller.

"Aww... You are so cute, aren't you? What is your name, little one?" Beam cooed softly, causing Davin to giggle even more.

The little boy even started to mumble gibberish excitedly, to Forth's surprise. And as if Beam understood that, he replied.

"Oh, really? I see... You got your first tooth peeking out your little gums, right?" Beam spoke in a cooing manner.

Davin kept on mumbling gibberish excitedly to Beam.

Forth raised his eyebrows? He did?

Beam turned to Forth with a knowing look. It was as if he knew Forth didn't notice it yet. "How old is he?"

"Davin will turn one next week." Forth answered.

Beam nodded. "I would personally suggest you to cook his food by yourself. You'd know what you put in it, and there's a lot of variety you can make."

"I can't cook, Beam. My mom will be taking care of him though."

Beam stood up. And then he smiled thinly.

"Well... If you don't have much time, then you can go with this one. Does he, by any chance, have glucose intolerance?" Beam asked simply.

Forth shook his head.

"Then, this should be fine." Beam said, pointing to one particular item.

"Your brother's?" Beam asked, he put his hands inside his jeans pockets.

"No. Davin is my son." Forth answered calmly.

"Where's his mother?" Beam asked, he bent down to Davin. One of his hands was gently holding the baby's hand.

Forth stayed quiet.

Beam turned his head to the taller and raised his eyebrows. "Forth?"

"She passed away."

"Oh, I'm sorry." Forth only nodded at that.

Beam didn't look like he was surprised.
If he was, Beam did a really great job of hiding it.

"Hm... Your daddy should learn how to handle babies soon, huh? Or get someone who knows how to, maybe? Right?" Beam turned to Davin.

His easy style of talking to the little boy made that baby–who would usually get a little grumpy at strangers–giggle. Forth had never even see the baby saying gibberish that excitedly.

Davin seemed to get along well with Beam. A young man who he just met not an hour ago. Wow, Beam is good with babies.

Forth was surprised, to say the least.

"Right, I need to go." Beam let go of Davin's little hand, and turned to Forth. "If you need help, just call me. You still have my number, right?"

Forth wordlessly nodded. Beam chuckled softly. "What's funny?" He asked.

"You."

Forth blinked. "Me?"

Beam smiled bright. "Yeah, you."

Forth blinked again.

"....why?"

This time, Beam laughed. "Oh my god. Nevermind."

Forth frowned. "What?"

Beam shook his head, smiling thinly.

"How do you know so much about babies anyway?" Forth grumbled softly.

Beam answered calmly, "Kit has a lot of younger siblings. Some have large age gaps too. I learned as I watch." Beam then grinned.

Forth blinked. That seemed to make sense.
"You don't have a baby secretly, do you?" Forth joked as he grinned slightly.

Beam blinked. But he stayed quiet.

Forth's eyes widened. He does??

"Anyway, I need to go first. I promised Phana to study with him tonight." Beam said, waving his hands to Davin before he took his leave.

Leaving a shocked, speechless Forth.
"He does?" He asked Davin, as if the baby could understand him.

What Forth did not realised: for some reason, Beam walked out of the pharmacy with empty hands.

[ proofread by @patriciathawmte ]

❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

Oh my god. This one is short, I know.
I, obviously, didn't think through about the plots and stuffs when I decided to write this. So now, I am struggling with the consequences. 😣😣

Because apparently, I just want to get rid of that parent!au forthbeam out of my head.
Hopefully this will work out well. 🤔

So now, Beam Baramee is out of his cave!!👁️👁️

I used to read a lot of stories where somehow Forth had everything figured out, or he was good at everything. And, yeah. I somehow ended up liking it a lot. 🙈🙈

But a part of me, want to make Forth this way(I know I don't have any story apart from this, but I personally know that I like to torture my main chars 🙂). A little bit flawed, but still learning to improve.

A little bit of a fool for his baby too. Hahahaha! 😂

Comments are very much appreciated!
Until next update! 👋🏻