Damned

Desiree drove down the street my house was on. I saw the police car, but I didn’t want to freak out Desiree or indicate to my mom that someone had dropped me off.

“Where’s your brib?”

“Keep driving down.”

“Damn, ya’ll got police officers that live all around this neighborhood huh?”

Desiree asked that because of Lennox Avenue and the fact that we saw 2 cop cars parked in front of houses, and then the fact that my house had a police car parked at my driveway. We passed right by my house. I had her drive to Dion’s house which was right down the street. I just shook my head.

“Shay I’m sorry again.”

“NAH, chill don’t stunt it. It was really my fault, I should of remembered that I had to go home, but we got fucked up.”

“Hell yeah… You excited that school is starting next Monday?”

“NO. Hah you already know the answer to that. School is school.” Really I was thinking to myself, YES I’m excited to start high school. I couldn’t wait.

“At least you’ll be a senior.”

“All right, see you later babe.” We made out for a couple of minutes and I kissed her goodbye on the cheek. I knocked on the door and started calling Dion to pick up. The first call, this dude didn’t even answer! What in the hell mane!!!

So I dialed his number again, still no contact. Now I was really getting scared. Desiree was looking from the car… I hope she wasn’t thinking that my mom wasn’t really home or something like that. Finally after waiting a minute, Dion answered the door and I rushed in and closed the door.

“BRUH, What did you tell my mom?”

“I had to make up something son. I told her you was spending the night at one of your basketball friend’s houses. She really didn’t believe nun I told her though…  Check it, your moms is going WILD. She called me like 9 times; I was knocked out last night and realized she was calling me when my phone kept vibrating this morning. Let’s just say… YOU SCREWED NIGGA…”

“Damn!!! Well man I appreciate it. At least that’s something I can work with.”

“…Where the hell was you at anyways?” Dion said with a confused look on his face while he picked out his afro.

“Man I was with Desiree, they had a party last night at UCF and I ended up staying the night…”

“That’s wassup! Was it live?”

“Yeah it was. We got MESSED UP. Saw all types of crazy stuff out there!  Listen man I’ll see you later, I don’t want moms tripping any longer.”

“True.  Stay strong Shay.” Dion said as he shook me goodbye.

I left Dion’s house after that and walked down a couple of blocks to my house. The closer I got there, the more nervous I grew.

Dion tried my life when he told me that my mom didn't believe him at first. I got really scared as I walked slowly down the street to my house a few blocks down... I started staring at Mrs. Robinson's flowers. She always kept up with her lawn and had a bright deep purple colored house that sat on the corner. Her house just breathed life.

I snatched some leaves and a bud off of her bush. It’s a habit. I instantly thought about the Little Bill episode where the Asian girl and Little Bill’s cousin got mad at him and his best friend when they didn't want to play the games they did. Then little bill tried to make it up since he knew she liked flowers, but only made her more upset because he picked off the buds, before they got a chance to blossom. Everything has a starting point and blossoms eventually over time.