eight.

Loving her was funnier than a Saturday cartoon

    Katya woke up nervous. She woke up excited, too. She knew today was the day when she would be hanging out with Trixie. She wore a black, mesh long-sleeve shirt over a black tank top with dark red jeans. She did her makeup as usual; relatively natural but still pretty. She got in her car and went to school, relatively certain that she had her first period with Trixie.

    Trixie woke up anxious. She felt like she was going to throw up, honestly. She didn't get to sleep until one and the kids were extra draining last night. She did a lot of thinking before she actually fell asleep about her sexuality. Trixie had always admired girls for their beauty just like how she did with boys. But didn't everyone do that? She had never really had a crush on anyone before, so she didn't have a track record to analyze. She pulled the front of her hair back with a small bow. She put on a pastel pink blazer over a white tank top, and she wore a white skirt. She wanted to look good for Katya. Her mother dropped her off at school and reminded of her curfew- nine o'clock.

    When Trixie got to school, Katya was standing at her locker.

    HolyshitholyshitholySHIT Katya thought. Trixie looked so good; she was flustered. "Hey, I hope you don't mind me waiting for you," she said, playing with her hair to ground herself. Useless lesbian, just like Mitch said.

    "No, it's okay. You look really nice today," Trixie said, smiling innocently. "Ready for calc?"

    Katya needed to stop stealing glances at how good Trixie's legs look in a pencil skirt. She needed to stop being gay, just for a second, and pay attention. Act like a person, Zamo, she told herself. "Absolutely not, but am I ever?" She laughed for a moment, and Trixie did too.

    The walk to calculus was filled with small talk and giggles and that type of thing. The teacher had assigned seats, so the girls couldn't sit next to each other. Katya sat behind Trixie, and she couldn't help but get lost in her silhouette. Her perfect hair, her gorgeous curves, everything drew Katya in and refused to spit her out.

    When the bell rang, Trixie turned around to face Katya. "Where do you eat lunch?" Katya asked.

    "Usually the music room," Trixie said, embarrassed. She didn't have many friends, and the cafeteria was loud. She would much rather strum a guitar and talk to her music teacher.

    "Would you like to eat with me?" Katya asked.

    Trixie felt anxiety pool in her stomach. Yes, she thought. I would love to, but what about all of your friends? Won't they hate me? "Maybe another day, I'm working on a song." Trixie said, trying to smile, but she instead just looked at the ground.

    Katya was so very tempted to ask the blonde girl before her if she could sit in the music room, too, but she could tell by Trixie's body language that she would be rejected. "Okay," she said, softly. "Another day, it is."

    Trixie looked into Katya's blue eyes and smiled. She was so kind and sweet and understanding. It almost felt like Katya could read her mind. It was so, so lovely. They didn't have any other classes together that day, so Trixie told Katya she would text her whenever she could.

    "I'll meet you by your locker after last period," Katya said.

    "See you then!" Trixie was bubbling with excitement. Katya swore she could just eat her up.

    At lunch, Trixie sat in the music room, strumming chords on her pink guitar and trying to come up with lyrics to match them. Katya sat with her usual group of friends: Danny, Mitch, Ellie, and Jodi.

"So you ready for your date tonight, Zamo?" Danny teased.

Katya rolled her eyes. "It's not a date," she said.

"Yeah, and this isn't a salad," Ellie said, taking a bite of the salad she made this morning.

"Leave her alone," Jodi began. "Maybe sweet Beatrice will be good for Katya."

"Yeah, if they don't kill each other first." Mitch added.

"This is the first sweet person Katya has liked in a while, that's all I'm saying," Jodi said.

"Sick!" Danny exclaimed. All of their eyes turned to him. "My parents are gone all weekend. You guys should come over tonight."

"Can we do it tomorrow?" Katya asked, not wanting to cancel on Trixie.

"Yeah, sure, and if tonight goes well for you, you should bring sweet Beatrice."

Katya smilied, trying to imagine Trixie with a beer or a blunt in her hand. "I'll ask if she wants to come, but I'm totally down."

"Hell yeah!" Mitch shouted, laughing.

Katya hoped Trixie would come. She hoped they would be compatible. She hoped they wouldn't kill each other. She really, really liked Trixie. She hoped Trixie would like her, too.