twenty seven.

Late night after midnight she tunes in

"Everything is going to be fine."

Katya's voice reminded Trixie of the soft glow of a lantern. It represented a safe place; somewhere to call home. She loved it, even though she felt it was just the messenger for lies.

"I hope so," Trixie said.

It was after a long weekend. That's why Trixie was so apprehensive to go back to school. Sure, the party was a while ago (it felt like forever ago, but it had been a very eventful weekend), but Trixie was convinced that she would still be the buzz of the school. Luckily she had her classes with Katya that day, so even if she was bullied, she wouldn't be alone.

The first few periods of the day were shockingly uneventful for Trixie. There were no harsh whispers, no rude comments or snide remarks. She went about her day as normal, stopping to see Katya between her classes whenever she could. The day was normal for her, too. Katya had been asked a few questions by curious students- "are you two dating?"- but none of it had any malicious intent. Students at school weren't as harsh as they seemed. And the ones that were were truly few and far between.

When lunch rolled around, Trixie and Katya sat at their usual table with all of Katya's friends. They asked questions about one another's weekends, dancing around the party. They didn't want to make anyone uncomfortable. Mitch talked about how high he and Ellie got, and Danny talked about a hookup he had when he went to the beach with his brother's friends. Jodi, Katya, and Trixie spent a lot of time listening, which was a welcomed departure from constantly spilling their hearts out to one another.

"So," Jodi said once there was a lull in conversation. "Prom is coming up."

Ellie beamed. "I'm going with Ben." She was smiling, her face overcome with pride.

"Ben Harper?"Trixie asked.

"Yeah, I think so."

Trixie smiled. "He's really cute. Congratulations!"

"Hey," Katya teased, "keep your eyes to yourself."

"Why? I'm stuck looking at you all the time, might as well give my eyes a break every once in a while."

Katya laughed through gritted teeth, trying to hide her jealousy. Katerina, her mother would say. Pretty girls do not get jealous. Be gracious.

The rest of lunch came and went, filled with laughs and upbeat conversation. Once last period rolled around, Trixie kissed Katya on the cheek as she headed into the music classroom.

She took her usual seat by the window and pulled out her notebook. It was pink and covered in doodles, but contained most of the songs she had ever written (and was proud of). When Kim suggested songs for her to write, she wrote two but decided to scrap one. She was now in the final stages of her continued song and was just working out small chord changes and lyric replacements. When her teacher called to say he was checking everyone's progress, she wasn't worried, she was proud.

"Hey Mr. Thor," Trixie said as she walked into her teacher's office.

"Why hello Miss Mattel, lovely to see you." Trixie handed him her notebook. "Let's see what you've got going on here."

Her handwriting was sloppy in some parts when the lyrics fell directly from her mind onto the page, but he had no trouble reading them. After a few minutes of strumming the air and humming softly, he looked up at her.

"This is excellent, Beatrice." His compliment made her blush. "I mean that, kid. This is some of the best work I've seen in a while," he said as he jokingly punched her arm. "Now get back to work. I wanna hear you."

There was something calming about the atmosphere of the music room. The large windows showcasing the front of the school and its massive trees. The grass was extra green this time of year. It was a perfect spring day. Whenever someone asked Trixie to play for them, she always and let her nerves get the best of her. When Mr. Thor asked her to, though, it was like she was being granted permission rather than being forced to.

She was strumming the guitar and perfecting the finals chords of the song when Kim tapped her shoulder.

"Hey, Trixie," she said quietly.

"Hey," Trixie said.

"That was really pretty. Do you think you could help me out with a few lyrics? I just can't find the right words," she mumbled, trying to hide a lisp.

"Of course," Trixie said, smiling.

"Oh and by the way, I think you and Katerina are a really cute couple. I hope someday I can find someone that makes me that happy."

Trixie blushed. "Thank you, I'm sure you will. You're super sweet and pretty."

As Trixie helped to usher out the lyrics that were already waiting inside of Kim, she couldn't help but wonder what she had been so scared of. She couldn't tether her mind to a place of satisfaction. She wondered why she had thought everyone would be so cruel. She wondered why she cared so much about what everyone else thought anyway.

Once she had finished helping Kim, she shot Katya a text.

hey cute, i love you and u r incredible💖

As she was waiting for a text back, she once again thought about how everything was finally going right. She thought about how happy she had grown to be with herself. After years of denying everything about herself, she finally had a girlfriend! Someone to love and care for and understand. She had someone to admired and someone who would admire her in return. She everything she needed.

Well, not everything.

She was reminded of that when her phone buzzed and it wasn't a text from Katya.

It was a text from her mother.

—-
a/n: okay so this week's (YouTube (we ain't paying for wow presents + no ma'am)) unhhhh episode is so funny. i love two women. also have you guys read the Gay Times interview? i love its, it's so real. also that one picture of Katya where she looks like an effortless twenty-something beauty is fantastic