29- Playdate

Nova told me that Dakota was coming over with his niece. She told me that he wanted to be part of Hallies life, and she let him. Apparently since Hallie and his niece get along really well, they decided that it would be better if he brought her over to play.

There's no harm in that.

Right?

I mean it's not like Dakota was trying to win her over, if that were the case Nova wouldn't have said yes to me.

But she did.

I was engaged to Nova Ramirez, and I was so happy.

Having Dakota be apart of their lives wasn't going to change the fact that Nova was going to be my wife in a few months.

Nothing could change that.

Nova grumbles next to me as she adjusts her position. She slings an arm over my chest, and rest her head on my shoulder, before she drifts off to sleep again.

My fingers trail down her arm slowly, and I feel goosebumps appear on her skin. She nuzzles her face farther into my shoulder and her grip on me tightens.

It's almost like she didn't want to let me go. Hell I didn't want her to.

I tilt my head to look at her sleeping figure. She was always so peaceful when she slept, like she didn't have a care in the world. I knew better though, Nova always worries, it's nice to know she gets a break at least sometimes. Her dad really did a number on her.

My thoughts are interrupted by a soft knock at the front door.

After one last look at Nova, I crawl out of bed carefully so I don't wake her, and head downstairs.

I swing open the door to reveal the little girl from the hospital and Dakota, standing a few feet behind her.

"Hey man" he greets

I briskly nod my head and open the door wider, beckoning them in.

"I'll go get Hallie for you"

"Um is Nova here?" Dakota asks

I raise an eyebrow at his question.

"She's still sleeping."

His face drops slightly.

"Oh."

"I can get her up if you want"

"No no, it's okay, I just thought she would be awake by now. She never used to sleep in this late."

"Yeah, well a lot has changed in six years"

The tone of my voice was a lot harsher than I had planned.

Dakota flinches at my tone.

"Make yourself at home, I'll be back"

Dakota and the little girl sit on the couch as I make my way upstairs to get Hallie. I knock on her door softly.

"Hallie? Honey, your friend is here"

I hear Hallie running towards the door before she whips it open.

"Penny is here?"  She squeals

I nod my head.

"Yay!" She screams before running towards the stairs.

She stops and runs back over to me, hugging my legs.

"I love you Pencer"

I can't help the smile on my face as she squeezes my legs tight, I bend down and hug her back.