Prologue

Prologue

I was born like this. A stain to humanity. An imperfection. They call us "Radiants". It was the method humans used to segregate themselves from us and I always found the name to be demeaning.

What made us so "special" that other humans had to segregate themselves from us? Honestly, Radiants are humans that require extra source of energy to survive. A lot more than humans usually did. It's kind of similar to how plants get theirs from photosynthesis. But the bitter truth was that humans only saw us as the weaker breed. The lesser breed. We just didn't realise how much.

Our history began only a couple of decades ago, when the frequent use of medical equipments, released enough radiation energy that altered the human DNA and thus, began the existence of Radiants.

My mom got infected with radiation poisoning when she went for her usual pregnancy ultrasound scan. Because of that, I had been born a Radiant. We naturally became weaker due to the body's inability to convert enough sunlight for energy. The average energy generated in a normal human body was not enough for us to survive on. Even our homes are designed like greenhouses to help us regenerate energy. Solar radiation is always directed through the roof and the walls, and becomes absorbed by the floor and other areas of the rooms. Solar panels and heaters are also kept round the house and on the streets, to keep our energy levels stable.

But now, nowhere was safe for the Radiants anymore. We are now on the run, as the government had begun to capture and eliminate us one by one.

I am Tamar Adu and my story starts like this.

......
This is my first attempt at writing a Sci-Fi and the thought of writing it is getting me so psyched about it already.
What's your favorite book genre? I'd love to know.
Xoxo
Jasmine