Defiant (Vol. II) - Chapter thirteen

Chapter thirteen
Dad questioned. "How did everything happen? Tell me from the top."

We had just finished having a meal, but my parents weren't done with me, just yet. "A group saved me. I had been living there for a while."

Mom stared deeply at me. "But you're not a terrorist, right? You didn't blow up a building in defiance."

"We were full of kids and youth, ranging all the way from a year to twenty one, we would never do that. The government is out for us, and the people believe them. We're completely screwed. And now, I can't ever come back, because they've labelled me as a dead person. They know what they were doing. They took away my chance of ever having a life again."

Dad tightened his fist. Eyes blazing, he inquired. "What do you want to do now? We want to help."

I was taken aback. I couldn't risk their safety. They had their lives to live. I didn't want to take it away from them. "I'm not telling you this to ruin your lives. I just needed to let you know. I love you guys, and I'd die if I ever lost any of you."

Mom squeezed my hand gently. Tears flowed freely from her eyes. "My daughter's all grown up. Even without my help."

"I've had the practice." We all broke into soft chuckle. Everything did seem so much better now. The pain still stung, but I could feel myself relaxing again.

Dad turned to Kiitan. "Thank you for bringing her here. You have no idea how grateful we are, and how much you've done."

Kiitan looked at me. Warmth radiated in those eyes, then back at my father. "Anything to make her happy."

Mom smiled. "You're a good friend. I'm glad she has someone like you. She always was so lonely, growing up."

I groaned. "Mooom."

She smiled again. This time a sad one, and I knew it was my cue to leave. I had stayed long enough, and somehow given my parents back the spark, they thought they had lost before.

...
To get to the warehouse, Kiitan and I had to walk for some miles, since it was risky and impossible to take any transport vehicle there. I didn't mind the walk. I actually needed it to clear my head and to enjoy the little moment I had.

I lingered my gaze on Kiitan and watched him walk. Hands dipped in his pocket and a far away look in his eyes, I felt immensely grateful to him.

"Thank you." My voice turned small.

Kiitan cast me a sideways glance. "You needed it, so it's fine. I don't know what it's like to have both my parents' love, but you have it. It just gave me a new perspective to life."

"They were more than my family. They were  the friends that I never really had, and my confidantes at times too. I am grateful that they loved me all the same. I never needed to feel odd, despite the fact that I was different."

"You're lucky. My uncle is all I have. Losing him scares me, but he's not afraid of death. He sees it as a passage to another form of life. If he dies, he wants to know that he died saving people, whenever they needed it."

I looked at him. "He sounds so brave."

"The bravest."

"I know why you took me to my parents. You don't have to try so hard to make me like you."

Kiitan chuckled. "You think it's for that reason? You really are getting too confident."

My cheeks turned red. I must have misread things. "I didn't mean to—"

"I'm just kidding. You're right. I wanted to impress you. I just wanted to see you smile. I noticed how much sadness has been in your eyes, and I wanted to give you a little twinge of happiness."

"Well it worked. I am happy, but I don't think I can give you what you want." His nose crinkled, but I still continued. "I just broke up with Levi. It's not up to a month yet. I like you, but I just want to take my time worrying about other things. This just isn't the time for me to be chasing feelings."

"Then don't chase your feelings, just go on one date. Even if you like the date or not, it doesn't matter. You owe yourself that. You've been cooped up here, having nothing to do. You can't even live like a regular girl anymore. You need this."
.

I pursed my lips. Going on a date sounded fun, but I just wondered how Levi felt about it. I closed my eyes. Levi and I were friends, and I DID owe myself that much to explore other feelings. "Just one date."

"How does tomorrow night sound?"

I purred. "Perfect."

We both walked silently to the warehouse, and met a whole of people outside, Levi included. I could feel his vexation, even from afar, and I tried my best to give a casual smile. "Hey. Why's everyone out?"

Levi frowned. "We've been looking for you. We thought something happened, and then we tried your number, and it didn't go through."

Kiitan grinned. "That's a lot of "we" in that sentence. You're sure it's not just you."

I glared at Kiitan. This wasn't the time to be annoying. "Sorry, I left my phone behind. Didn't want to listen to anyone asking questions."

Levi's voice softened. "Where were you? You you got me—–all of us, scared."

"She's been with me all night. Got any problem?" Kiitan put his arms around me. I didn't hesitate to elbow him on his delicate spot. Kiitan made a low growl. Good. That ought to teach him a lesson.

Levi's amber orange eyes showed a pique of emotion. "It's fine. As long as she's fine. Excuse me." As he turned to leave, it felt like a piece of my heart left too, and boy, did it hurt so bad.