Defiant (Vol. II) - Chapter twenty two

Chapter twenty two
    I asked, once I got Levi all alone with me. "How did you know that your plan would work? I'm surprised it did."

"I had hope in only one thing. Kiitan Romanoff." He smirked. "I know much he loves his uncle. I always knew that. I knew his uncle's cure was all he wanted. I was only hoping that he'd convince him. I know his uncle listens to him, even though he pretends not to know that. I just never expected him to become the new leader. It's the only thing that caught me by surprise. "

"And you believe that your father's people can cure him? "

He shrugged. "They can cure anything they put their minds to. It could take months to—"

"Tunde Oye doesn't have months." I corrected. I wanted his uncle to be fine. Kiitan needed that.

"Then they'll speed us their process like they always do." He leveled his gaze to mine. "It's going to work. Cancer's my father's speciality. Trust me."

"I trust you."

Levi let out a relieved sigh. "Good."

I pondered. "Do you think your father would willingly waste so much money on a man that openly judges him? I don't think your father's that forgiving."

Levi hummed. "He certainly isn't the forgiving type. But I'll find a way. I always have a plan."

I wanted to ask, but I let it go. The look on his face told me that he wasn't comfortable with whatever plan he has in mind. But I trusted Levi. I trusted him to do what was right. "You're a good leader."

He closed his eyes. "I don't feel like one. I've been making a lot of compromises. Making deals. Blackmails. Holding secrets. I feel like my father. I don't want to feel like him. He helps Radiants, but he's a cold man."

I cupped his face. He looked at me. Amber orange eyes watched me like a hawk. "You're nothing like him. You are brave, selfless and sweet. You're brilliant and way too humble for your own good. Being a leader is never easy. I've watched people doubt your abilities and you turn everything for the better. Being a leader, means making sacrifices.  God knows how much you've sacrificed already."

He mumbled. "Thank you",  before he claimed my lips with his. I arched closer. It was slow and gentle, and I could feel how much he poured his heart into it. I could actually feel his love. I moaned softly. It felt good to have Levi Caden's heart.

....

Kiitan looked between us. "Now that we're in alliance, we need to have that talk."

Levi remained still. "Go on."

Kiitan fixed his gaze to me, then turned his head to Levi's frigid features. "No offense,  but what's she doing here?  I asked for a closed meeting with the unit's leader. That's you, Levi."

I scoffed. "I ought to cut your tongue with that scissors on your table."

Kiitan remained impassive. "Like I said, no offense."

Levi's eyes narrowed. "Oh no, I take full offense to that. Whatever plans I make, Tamar's there right by my side to join in. I trust her more than I can ever trust you." Then he gave a smug smile. "Besides, what's a king without his beautiful queen."

I chuckled softly. "That's me."

"So try to be on her good side. If she's angry, then I'm angry too."

Kiitan clicked his tongue. "I'll put that into consideration."

I clamped my hand together. "Splendid. So what's the business of the day?"

Kiitan eyed me. I gave him my sweetest smile. He scoffed, then said. "You two suit each other."

Levi grinned darkly. "Undisputedly."

Kiitan turned serious. "Since we're working together, I need to be treated with respect. I'm not your subject. I'm your equal."

Levi nodded. "As long as you remember to keep that in mind too, then we're absolutely in sync."

"Since Tamar is now the Bonnie to your Clyde. I expect her complete discretion, concerning matters we hold in here."

I gave my assurance. "I know what I have to do. You have my word."

Kiitan added. "We also need the complete help of your people when it comes to day-to-day activities. I admit that they're more useful than I take credit for."

Levi smiled briefly. "Thank you for admitting that."

Kiitan returned the smile. Then dropped an envelope on Levi's lap. "That's the information you asked for. It's all in there. Everything you need to know on who sold you out. There are pictures inside too."

My heart drummed. I really was curious right now. Levi and I shared a look. He tore open the envelope and pulled out the picture.

Levi's jaw ticked. Eyes drooped. "That's the traitor?"

Kiitan confirmed. "That's the person. My Intel is never wrong."

Bile rose in my throat, and my fingers fidgeted with the picture Levi handed to me. My breathing turned ragged. My throat hoarse. My heart tore apart as I stared at the smiling picture of Kel, one of my best friends in the Clandestine. One of the few people I trusted the most. "Oh God."