Radiant (Vol I) - Chapter Forty Seven

Chapter 47

I knocked on the door, and waited patiently for Levi to come out. It took him a couple of seconds, and when he did, I found myself out of breath, by the sight of him.

His hair was wet and slung to the back, and it looked like he just finished having a shower. He stood by the door, and stared at me in amusement. I never knew  I could get turned on, just looking at him in this state. Oh dear Lord.

His lips curled up. "So it's your turn to come see me at my room, so early in the morning."

I smiled back. "You do look really good in the morning."

He stepped forward slowly. His eyes glistening, and stopped when we were only a metre apart. "So I look bad every other time?"

I joked. "Exactly."

His grin widened, as he slung his arm around me, and briefly pressed his hot feathery lips against mine. "Good morning."

Still settled in his arms, I looked up at him. "You too. I just wanted to check up on you. I heard you've been looking so stressed. Everything's okay?"

I could feel his whole body getting tense. "People are noticing?"

"Relax. It's just Oge."

He heaved in relief. "Okay then. I just feeling really jittery. I don't know if my meds are working well. I'm thinking of trying a new treatment."

"Have you tried other treatments?"

"Cognitive therapy and meditation doesn't work well with me. Maybe because of my RR gene."

I mused. "Have you told Oge? She'd know what to do."

"I will. Don't worry. I know how to manage it."

I looked at him hesitantly, but he continued to smile, as if he wanted to put me at ease. His smile was convincing, and I trusted him to do what's right. "If that's the case then, I'm fine with it."

I leaned towards him and settled for a soft kiss. He drew me closer and ran his hands down my tangled hair, deepening the kiss.

He paused to look at me. Those gorgeous eyes ripped through my heart. "Great. I have some work to do, so I hope you don't mind that I'm leaving."

I shook my head. "I only came to check up on you. I'm on my way out too. I'm having my solo training."

He pouted. "I can't believe you got rid of me, as your trainer. We were making so much progress."

"Do you know how distracting it was, having you train me? Everything you did made me want you even more. I want to excel as a fighter, not drool at my teacher."

Levi wriggled his eyebrows playfully. "So you find me distracting, ey"

I nudged him on the chest gently. "At least I'm being honest about it. Unlike some people."

Levi laughed heartily, then shook his head. "You're one of a kind."

I narrowed my eyes. "I'm taking it as a compliment."

Smirking at me, he lowered his head to peck my lips. "I've got to get going. I'll see you at lunch."

"Just don't be late, like last time."

He saluted. "Yes, boss."

I fought back a smile, and watched him enter his room. I heaved in relief, once I was sure that he was inside. Levi was fine, so that meant everything was alright. I really had nothing to worry about, after all.

....

I was thrilled to have some alone time, so I could get to training. I tightened my fists and threw my punch forcefully on the punching bag, as it swung back and forth, from each impact.

"Hi, Tamar." I paused mid punch and whirled around, when I heard an unfamiliar feminine voice. I fixed my gaze sternly at the stranger standing before me, wondering if I knew her from anywhere. Warm honey orange eyes stared back at me innocently, as she bashfully played with a lock of her dark hair, which were braided in cornrows, that fell to the back.

I took a good look at her. She had light tawny skin and wore no make up on her oblong face. "Do I know you?"

She shook her head. "Oh no, I'm one of the many unknown people here, unfortunately."

"I see, so how may I help you? I'm a little busy right now. Today's unusually busy for me and this is probably my only free time till dinner. "

The girl's eyes widened. "I apologize. I just wanted to ask for permission to be your trainee. I want to be in the fight club and would like to train from you."

I hesitated. "Well you see, ehm—" I paused to ask. "What's your name?"

"Voké Ono"

"Well you see, Voké. I don't think I'm the best option for that. I don't have enough experience to have my own tr—"

Her eyes turned pleading. "You are the best option there is. You're an amazing fighter and you're the African Rep. I'd be crazy to miss an opportunity with one of our best. You're like the—"

I was flattered that she considered me, to train her, but I just wasn't comfortable with being "praised", so I cut short her speech. "Thank you, but I'm not really interested. Maybe some other time."

Her voice sounded disappointed, and I couldn't help feeling guilty. "Oh. That's okay then. Thanks for hearing me out anyway."

I let out a long sigh. Why the hell did I feel bad about it? "Wait up. Let me think about it first. Give me a week and I tell you what I've decided by then. Is that okay?"

Voké nodded. "It's more than okay. It's hope, and I'm ecstatic about that."

I didn't reply and offered her a tight smile. I stepped back to where I was training, and continued my fist fight with my punching bag.