Radiant (Vol I) - Chapter Forty One

Chapter 41

Vikram Caden gave me a dazzling smile "You must be Tamar. I've heard so much about you."

My gaze flew to Levi's, but he only wore a guarded look on his face. I knew Levi didn't tell his father about me, but this was clearly a form of power play for Vikram Caden. To prove that he knew everything, even without being here, and unfortunately it worked, seeing how cold Levi had become, by his words.

I greeted him, then said. "I'm happy you know a lot about me. So there'd be no need for introductions. I also know a lot about you too."

A smirk glued on his face. "I know you do". He took a glass of wine and sipped. "You were such a bright student. You got into Caden University with quite an ease. Your grades were off the charts and you got the scholarship too. I'm impressed with how your life had been. Not many can impress me."

I didn't need to reminded on my past life, that seemed unlikely for me to regain, so I tried my best to sound pleasant. "I'm grateful to have been one of the few."

"Don't be. People who impress me, tend to disappoint me a lot more."

Levi took my arm firmly, then faced his father. "We have to go deal with some stuff. It's good to see you, dad. Excuse us."

Dragging me as far as possible from his dad, Levi muttered. "What are you trying to do? Provoke him? Because it worked."

"He didn't look provoked."

"Trust me. He is." He cursed loudly, then said. "When he said he was coming, I didn't expect him to. He always missed stuff like this, but something dragged him here."

"Could it be about us?"

Levi's lips twisted. "I sincerely hope not."

My eyes sharply held his. "Did you finally decide what you wanted?"

He cupped my face. "I'm always going to choose you. It's you and me, against the world, remember that."

I smiled. Mirroring his. "I like the sound of that. So what happens now?"

"We'll let ourselves live in the moment. Today's all we have to lean on right now. Our Clandestine hit a milestone. A life was saved. We have so much to celebrate, so why stop now."

My smile broadened, as I looked round the room. Kel was cuddled with Juan. Oge was having a dance with T.J (Surprise. Surprise, there) and Zuri was having what looked like, a serious conversation with Madame Josie. Kóre was sipping his wine in a corner, and Laurena was having a tender moment with Red. Everything at this moment seemed perfect. I knew I needed to fall in sync with that. "Let's do that. Let's celebrate. We can do that."

Levi's right hand stretched out in front of me. "Let's start that, by dancing. May I have this dance, Tamar Layo Adu?"

I chuckled softly and slid my hands into his. Warmth flowed through my body, as our gazes locked. "Yes, you may."

Pulling me closer to him, I let my gaze linger on his handsome face, as his body brushed mine lightly.

Vikram Caden's thunderous voice drew closer and had us pulling apart. "Levi, we need to have a talk privately. Come along with your sister. It's urgent."

Levi sighed, when his father left, and held a wounded expression on his face. "I'm sorry. I just need to hear what my dad has to say and en-"

I waved my hand dismissively. "It's fine. We'll continue dancing when you're back. No big deal."

He sent me a grateful smile and disappeared out of sight, in a flash.

....

"Tamar, right?" I whipped my head and smiled softly, when I saw Dame Josie approaching forward.

She was wearing a floor length royal blue gown, that helped to accentuate her ivory beauty. Deep set of orange eyes held mine coolly. I nodded. "Yes, ma'am."

"No ma'am business here. Call me Dame Josie or just plain Dame would do."

I raised my eyebrows, but reserved my comment. Kóre wasn't joking about the obsession with the whole "Dame" name business. "Yes, Dame."

She looked content, as she spoke."How do you like it here? Are you fitting in well?"

"It's been fine. I'm part of the fighters or the fight club, as they call it here. It's been exciting."

"I heard. Congrats on helping us to break the jinx."

I blushed. "I really had no idea. I just wanted to be a part of that."

"Have you ever thought of leaving here? To be a part of something bigger?"

My face hardened. What the hell was she talking about? "Not really. I'm quite content being here."

She mused. "Really? I just thought-" She paused to shake her head. "Oh never mind."

I wasn't just going to let her drop it. Not after she had asked something like that. "You thought what, Dame ?"

"I don't know if I should be telling you this, but rumors have been flying around that you and Levi are planning on leaving this place together and Vikram Caden isn't thrilled one bit. I just thought you should know. The council's gotten a wind of it and it doesn't look good for Levi at all."