Radiant (Vol I) - Chapter four

Chapter 4

I knew I was in a dream. It didn't seem like how the real world really was. It was peaceful and I didn't want to wake up from my blissful reverie. I was surrounded by waterfalls and colourful flowers that seemed to heighten my spirit. I inhaled deeply. The tranquility was breathtaking. Everything seemed perfect until I heard someone call my name. "Tamar. Tamar. Tamar. Wake up now."

My eyebrows crinkled. That was my mom's voice. Where the hell is she?

Her voice called out again. More forceful than the last one. Her voice sounded frantic and It jolted me back to the real world. "Tamar Layo Adu."

My eyes blinked open, pulling me back to reality and  flickered around my tiny peach colored bedroom.  My room had its long mirror where it usually was, my wardrobe slightly left afar and medium sized bed where I presently slept on, was at the farthest corner from the door. I turned my gaze back to where my mom sat. She was sitting at the edge of my bed and tapped my arms. My vision became clearer and her scared look frightened me. "Mom?"

"We need to get out of here now. Get up." Her dark-as-midnight eyes darted around nervously.

"What's going on? I'm confused."

Mom whispered. "Keep your voice down. The security officers are parked outside our house. I think they're here to take you. We need to get you out of here now."

"I thought dad said we were safe."

"Not anymore. We need to sneak out first and we'll think of something on the way."

I didn't understand the logic in any of this. "What about dad? Or Tobi and Toni? What would happen to them if I disappear? They would go to jail."

"I'm not going to sit back and let them take you away. If they take you, I don't think we'll ever get you back." Her face hardened.

A knock drummed briefly on my door, cutting off my conversation with mom and making me internally panic. Dad opened it and walked in, wearing a distressed look on his face. The lines of his eyebrows crinkled. "Tamar. We have a problem."

Mom muttered. "We need to sneak her out right now."

Dad frowned. "What if they catch her on the way? It'll be completely worse. They can't take her. We'll take them to court or talk it out now. They have no right."

I pointed out. "They're only following orders. There's nothing any officer can do in our favor."

Mom spoke up. "They can show us proof first. Proof that can show why we are unfit to raise our own daughter."

Dad sighed. The disheveled look on his mocha face, helped to add the lines of wrinkles on his face making him look older. "Let's find out first. But whatever they say, there's no way they're taking you away."

.......

"We are pleased that you willingly brought your daughter down without any hassle." The first officer spoke. I read his name tag. Sergeant Chidi. He spoke in a monotone voice. His voice, lacking any emotion. He was lanky and stood as tall as a tree, with dark eyes that locked with mine. Revealing nothing, but scaring me all at once.

The other officer. Sergeant Paul had a sardonic smile. Very creepy and unsettling. He stood almost as tall as the other one, but his well built arms made me panic. "Even if either one of you tried anything, the house is already surrounded to prevent any escapes." . Mom and I's gazes locked for a split second. I didn't even have to chance to run away, even if I tried.

Mom snapped. "Before you think of taking her away, show us proof that allows you to take her."

Sergeant Paul's smile widened, clearly irritating my mom. "I was hoping you would ask that. We have all your financial records here with us. Sergeant Chidi, show them."

Sergeant Chidi pulled out sheets of paper from his  back pocket and handed a few to dad, who read it with evident worry. "These are your bank statements and we believe that you have only one source of income which is barely enough to take care of a family of 5, that even has a Radiant child."

Sergeant Paul continued. "More so, it shows that this family matriarch Mrs. Elohor Adu recently lost her job a couple of months and has yet to find a replacement yet. Thereby reducing the source of income."

Mom glared at them. "You think it's easy to get a new job in this economy."

Sergeant Paul cocked his head slightly. "That's why we're here. To reduce the burden."

I gritted my teeth. "I am not a burden."

The Sergeant looked at me for a couple of seconds, as if just noticing my existence. "We'll be the judge of that."

Dad interjected. "My salary is enough to keep the family afloat. It shows here."

Sergeant Chidi shook his head. "Not anymore. Mr. Adu. If you've checked the news this morning, then you'd know that the government has increased the minimum wage to raise a Radiant. Your salary doesn't cut it anymore."

My eyes widened. No, it wasn't possible. It was evident now that they wanted to get rid of all Radiants. This was no coincidence. This was a target.

Mom scoffed. "What business does the government have with any of our means of livelihood?"

Sergeant Paul sneered. "Everything falls back on the government. In case you don't know. You should be grateful that THIS would be off your necks now. No more massive spendings. Your lives would be finally at ease. Now, as much as I want to enjoy our little chats, I think it's time to hand the girl to us, before we use brutal force and you won't like it one bit."

Dad grabbed the first thing he saw. A golf stick that stood at the corner. "I'd rather die than to let you take my daughter."

Soft voices popped up. "what's going on?"
"What are security officers doing here?" We all turned around to see Toni and Tobi, standing at a far corner, dressed in their pyjamas and wearing matching scared looks.

Sergeant Chidi spoke up. "Are you sure you want the rest of your kids to see the end of this?"

Mom barked. "Go back to your rooms, you two."

Tobi frowned "But mom—"

"Get the hell in." I could sense the fear in mom's eyes as she tried to send my siblings back in and became slightly relieved when they did enter their rooms.

Sergeant Paul gave a wry glance at Dad. "You might want to drop that golf stick in your hand, sir. You won't like it if I beat the hell out of you and STILL take your child. Pick wisely."

Dad shook his head. "Over my dead body. Only a terrible father would let heartless men take away his innocent daughter to a place where they would do God-knows-what to her."

Sergeant Paul rolled his eyes. His patience was obviously thinning out. "Only a terrible father would attack a security enforcer and go to jail for nothing. Especially when I would still take the girl."

Dad didn't look like he cared and I didn't like it one bit. I understood his need to protect his family, but I couldn't let him make things worse. "it's okay, dad. Let's make this easier for us. I'm turning myself in."

..........
Tamar just turned herself in, to protect her family from serious jail time. Would Tamar survive the refinement facility? We'll find out soon enough.
Xoxo
Jasmine