Radiant (Vol I) - Chapter Forty Four

Chapter 44

Series of knocks drummed at the door, but I rolled in bed, ignoring whoever was at the other side. The person didn't seem to stop, and it was sincerely pissing me off.

I could hear Laurena's weight giving in to the bed, as she grudgingly dragged herself out of bed. She grunted. "Who's there? It's six in the morning."

Levi's voice boomed from the other end. "Sorry. I need to see Tamar. Can you get her for me?"

Laurena turned her head to me, and glared "Get rid of your boyfriend."

I protested "He's not my—"

"Are you going to answer him or what?"

I sighed. It was getting harder and harder to play nice with Laurena. Ignoring Laurena's usual antics, I headed out of the room and came face-to-face with a grinning Levi.

Amber-orange eyes sparkled. "Took you long enough."

"I would have taken much longer, since I was enjoying my beautiful sleep."

"Sorry about that. I need to show you something."

"You're grinning a lot, so I'm hoping that its good news".

He took my hand in his. " Trust me. It is."

The warmth of his hands radiates against me, putting me oddly at ease. I let him pull me through different floors, until we finally found ourselves standing in front of the dojo.

My forehead crinkled. "Why are we here?"

Levi only smirked. He pushed the door open, as I looked at the dojo in awe. It was slightly decorated, like how the hall was, yesterday. The room was dimly lit and colourful streamers hung from the top. "What's all this, Levi?"

He didn't give a reply. He slid a C.D into a cassette player, and slow tempo music began to play. My heart drummed against my chest, as I let my eyes follow his movement slowly. He offered me a small smile, and took out his hand. "Yesterday was so hectic and we never had the chance to dance, like I promised."

My lips twitched. It was getting harder and harder not to fall for him. "So this is a reenactment?"

He hummed. "You can call it that. I feel bad that I left you last night."

"Where were you last night?"

"I had a really LONG meeting with some Global Council of Radiants members yesterday. We had to discuss on many things, but mostly about that damn rumors, and had to prove that I wasn't running away with you, and willingly obliged, as long as they agreed not to drag you into this. You already have so much to worry about."

"What about Zuri? Is she going to be in trouble for leaving?"

"Leaving this Clandestine involves a lot of paperwork that Zuri has been doing, ever since she came. It's usually easier for a regular person to leave, than a leader. A leader's supposed to protect its followers. If I leave this unit, I don't think it would be easily processed. The person would have to step down first, then go through the processes that a regular person would do, which could take months. The shame alone, won't make it easy for a leader to leave. That's why most people stay. It's stressful leaving."

"The whole process sounds boring. I wonder how long Zuri's been on it. She seems determined to leave."

A slight bit of a smile tugged at his lips. "I brought you here to wipe our minds away from the Clandestine, and just focus on us. Can you do that?"

"I'd love that. It almost feels like we don't have time for us anymore."

"That's exactly why I set this up." He took out his hand for the second time. "So Tamar Layo Adu, Can I have this dance?"

I beamed, and lightly took my hand in his. He used his other hand to hold me by the waist and gently pulled me closer. My innards began to twist into knots and a flare of heat ran down my body, when I felt his touch. We swayed slowly to the music, and his eyes never wavered from mine.

His voice softened "I'm sorry my job always takes up my time. That's why I don't date, and one of the reasons my dad is a shithead because of it. He hates distractions. He always taught me as a kid, to always put my eyes on the prize."

My lips curled up. "What happened to not talking about the Clandestine?"

He chuckled. "My apologies."

I traced my hands across his jaw, and watched his adam apple bop at my touch. It was nice to know that I wasn't the only one affected by any of this. "Apology accepted."

Levi nuzzled my neck with his nose, before taking slow long kisses that trailed to the lobe of my right ear. Our eyes met, only for a split second, before he lowered his gaze to my lips and caressed his lips against mine.

I pressed my body tightly against his body and intensified the kiss into something sensuous. He traced his finger down my neck, as goosebumps trailed with each contact.

He whispered, against my ear. "Do you want to have—"

I shook my head, before he could finish. I knew he was a hot blooded male, considering the fact that he used to have a sexual no-strings-attached relationship with Aliyah. But it wasn't something I wanted right now, and I was concerned that it would scare him away.

The understanding look in his eyes, helped to wash away my worries, as he placed a chaste kiss on my lips. "It's fine. No pressure."

I mumbled. "Thank you."

His eyes exuded something I couldn't decrypt. "I heard that you're the new African rep. Congratulations."

"I was practically forced into it. I don't even know how the council members would react to this."

"You can find out in today's meeting. You'd have to be a part of it. Though I'd have to warn you, the meetings are usually long."

I grumbled. "Just my luck."

Levi chuckled. "Come on. Let's go say our goodbyes to Zuri, before she goes."