Defiant (Vol. II) - Chapter twenty eight

Chapter twenty eight

Levi stepped much closer to me and grinned wildly, after he was done with slightly  convincing everyone to give Kel an olive branch. "How'd I do?"

"It was pretty impressive. I found myself practically getting turned on, watching you speak so authoritatively." I smiled coyly.

A soft laugh rumbled in his chest. His eyes bore into mine. "I had no idea you were into that."

I leaned closer to whisper to his ear. "You have no idea what I like."

"Do you like this?" He responded seductively, making breath hitch and pressed himself closer to kiss me. My toes curled excitedly when our lips touched. My back touched the wall gently, as Levi wrapped me deeper in his strong arms. He broke off the kiss and grinned when he saw the dazed look on my face.

I answered breathlessly. "I do."

He laughed. Pretty much enjoying himself more than he let on. "I like the look on your face now. God, I wish we had a room to ourselves right now."

I squirmed under his intense look. I couldn't resist changing the subject. "How do you think Juan is doing?"

Levi raised his eyebrow quizzically, but didn't question anything. "It would be hard. He looks pissed and heartbroken. Just like anyone would be, if they were in the same shoes. But I'll check on him today to see how he's doing. He's a good guy. He doesn't deserve any of this."

I nodded. "That's really nice of you. He needs that."

"I've got to. He's one of the few people I can call a friend around here." He paused, wearing one of his many somber looks. "So what's next on the agenda, Bonnie?"

I grinned at his nickname. We did feel like our own Bonnie and Clyde now. We had each other's backs and I trusted him wholeheartedly. "Well Clyde, we have one more thing to do. We need Vikram Caden."

....
"Let me get this straight. You need my help?" Odell sent us a doubtful look, then peered at Trinity who he fed another spoon of oatmeal. The little girl chewed slowly and burped, right after she swallowed.

Levi grunted. "Is that so hard to believe?"

"You can start by getting rid of the angry tone in your voice whenever you talk to me. Besides, you've been avoiding me for the past two months since you came and now all of a sudden, you need me. I can't work with that."

Levi shot him a look. "You don't have to make everything so difficult. I'm asking for a simple favor. After everything you did."

Odell dropped Trinity's spoon in her plate forcefully. "What I did? I've already apologized for Feyi's death. Everyone now knows the whole story. I can't keep blaming myself for one thing for the rest of my life. I've made peace with it. It's—"

"I'm talking about you leaving." Levi trembled with annoyance.

I pursed my lips. This had to be a touchy subject. Odell's mouth hung. "Levi, I—"

"You were my best friend. My brother. After you left, I was pretty much alone with people who didn't like me. Worst of all, I had to take over your job. A job you left in a very messy state. I had to compete with your vice, who kept using my secret to keep my mouth shut. I couldn't even let myself date because I was afraid of messing up my job. Since you left, my life has been fucked up. That's why I'm pissed at you."

Odell held his angry gaze steadily. "It seems like the person you should be mad at, is dad and not me. He does so much good, but at the end of the day, the bad stuff always outweighs the good."

"What the hell are you saying?"

Odell sighed. "You need a favor from me. What is it?"

Levi huffed. "We're not done with this conversation."

"No, I think we are. A part of you would always blame me for putting you through this. I'm sorry, but Trinity is my daughter and only priority. I'm not going to apologize for putting her first. I may have escaped responsibility, but it was about time that you stepped up. We all needed to grow up. Our family's not the type to sit back."

Levi rubbed his temples. He glanced at his niece and gave a slow sigh. The sight of the child cradled in Odell's arms must have struck something in him. "I shouldn't have blamed you. I just wanted to put all these on someone and you were the easy target. I apologize."

"Well dad has a way of making it hard to blame him. It's his speciality."

Levi's face immediately turned pleading. It looked like it surprised a lot out of Odell,  like it did to me. "Dad's a difficult nut to crack, but you managed to break free. How did you do it? I know there was a falling out between you two. I just need to know what happened."

Odell's face hardened. "Why?"

"It's the only leverage I can have over him. I need his help in saving my friends. Dad's not interested in anything that could risk jeopardizing his little plans against the council. Saving the captured Radiants aren't part of it."

"That's probably because it's insane."

Levi shrugged. "I guess my insanity is all I've got left to save them."

"Fine. I'll tell you. Except I can only say it privately." He glanced in my direction and arched his eyebrow.

"Every decision I make, has to be made with Tamar by my side. This also goes for every information I get."

"That's not my problem. You can tell her on your own, but I'm not comfortable revealing my family's secret in front of anyone."

I guess the Caden's family mantra, "don't trust anyone, but each other", seemed to stick with him too, despite how much he'd distanced himself from the family. "It's okay. I'll go. Don't worry about me."

I excused them from their discussion and found a place to wait for Levi. I pulled out my phone from my pocket. While their talk was going on, I needed to make a call.