Defiant (Vol. II) - Chapter twenty four

Chapter twenty four

Levi made me not tell any one else. I understood why. We couldn't risk anyone (especially, Laurena) going crazy and ruining our plan. Laurena was already becoming bearable. She's even getting along with Evelyn, though I doubted anything between them could be the same way it was before. Everything was fine. I couldn't risk ruining it.

In fact Laurena had already become so open to me.  I was curious in her change in personality, and she easily told me why. I was afraid that she'd punch me for my intrusion, but the bittersweet smile in her eyes made me realize that she'd open up. "Few weeks after I entered the Clandestine, Oge helped me make a drug. To stabilize my mood. I didn't want to take it. I liked feeling empty. I was trained to enjoy the emptiness. It made me tough. It was the only feeling I had. But then my mom died, and I want to feel the pain. I took the drug and for the first time in my life, I cried. It was an odd feeling. I didn't want it again. But then the government took everyone. They kept them in a refinement facility. That was the first time I felt a worse feeling than the emptiness I usually had. I wanted to fight it, so I took the drugs with me. But lately, I've been feeling the need to let myself feel happy. Not just depending on Red. I wanted more,  so I've been taking the pills. It helps. I feel free with it."

She was happy. I wasn't going to ruin that by telling her the truth just yet, about Kel.
Unfortunately, Lyra already knew about everything. I shouldn't have let her touch me. It's not easy having a seer for a friend. She whispered against my ear. "Be careful."

I nodded. I understood. I muttered my thanks and followed Levi out.

...
I heard that familiar laughter I was accustomed to, drawing closer. I resisted the urge to go over and punch her. It sounded like she was on the phone. Levi sat still, running his eyes all over her room. He paused, when he saw a picture frame hanging on her wall. He frowned when he picked it up, but then dropped it back before I could see what it was about.

  I quickly alerted him. She was coming in. Now was the time.

Humming lightly, Kel pushed open the door to her room. I immediately pressed the gun against her head. "Don't make a sound. Don't move. Unless you want me to blow your brain out."

At first she let out a small gasp. Then she looked up to see that it was me and had the guts to release a relieved sigh. Her gaze bounced to Levi's direction, who was sitting in her swirly chair and wearing a rigid look in his eyes. "Tamar. Levi. You're alive."

Levi stood up. His movement was slow and menacing. "Were you expecting otherwise?"

Kel stammered. "N-n-ot at all."

I grabbed her arm roughly, with my other hand. "No one asked you to talk. It was rhetoric."

Shivering in fear, she nodded obediently.

"We'd need her to talk at some point. She has lots of things to answer to." Levi mused.

Kel mumbled. "I'm sorry."

I closed my eyes for a split second. An aching feeling burnt in my chest as I dragged her to the floor. "You've missed your chance for apologies."

She sobbed softly. "Please don't hurt me."

I paused. I felt like a criminal. This wasn't who I was. I walked away from her. "God dammit, Kel. How could you?"

She still continued to sob on the floor, but Levi seemed unhinged. "Get up."

He didn't need to say it twice. She raised herself up and looked him in the eyes. "When you're done with your drama, then we can get back to talking. " His tone darkened. "I'm not buying any of your fake tears."

Kel looked shocked. I frowned at him. "Really?"

"I know people like her." He then turned to her. "Are you done now?"

Kel wiped her tears with the back of her hand, and hissed. "Fine."

I folded my arms. She was faking it? Even now she was trying to mess with us. "So you're that much of a liar. How could I not see it?"

Kel rolled her eyes. "Don't be so dramatic."

"I'm the one with the gun here. So watch your mouth." I responded sharply.

"You guys can't kill me. I know all about your code of conduct."

Levi's eyes narrowed. "Maybe we can't, but we can very much hurt you. And Tamar's not really on a forgiving mood."

Kel instantly calmed down. She asked suddenly. "How did you guys find me?"

I twisted her arm. She yelped. "We'll be the ones asking questions."

Kel swore. "Hurt me all you want, but I'm not answering anything."

Levi pulled out a picture of the woman he was staring at earlier, and shoved it in front of Kel's face. "We have all the time to break what's left of you. In the meantime, you're going to tell me your connection with Ify Chiwetel, cause there's no bloody way that it's a coincidence you have her photo in your room."

My eyes widened. Ify Chiwetel. Kree Badmus' right hand woman. Salmob medical center's boss and the president of NLC. This was no coincidence.

That instant, her phone rang. The caller ID showed "Mom." I looked between the photo in Levi's hand and the photo of the caller ID and cursed. "Dammit, Levi. Ify Chiwetel's her mother."