Defiant (Vol. II) - Chapter seventeen

Chapter seventeen

"Before what, son?" Vikram Caden bellowed.

My eyes widened. Levi's face once again wore an austere look. "Where's Odell?"

Vikram Caden took some steps forward. "He left. I guess he hates me more than I thought."

Levi grunted. "I wonder why."

"Worry more about your health. What part of laying low did you not understand? I'm not supposed to be seen with you for the time being, and yet you drag me out." Vikram seethed.

"I didn't call you. Odell did."

"Don't sound so cocky. This is serious. Kree Badmus has people tailing me. If I get caught, that's the end. We'd all go to prison."

Kree Badmus? The dictator. What the hell was going on?

Levi shifted his head to look at me. Vikram turned his head too and frowned. He was too engrossed in his outburst, that he didn't pay heed to my existence. "We need to talk outside. ALONE."

Levi retorted. "Anything you need to say to me, you can say it in front of her."

Vikram Caden cocked his head. "I hardly doubt that you've told her every single detail. Do you think this dainty little girl can handle it?"

Levi grunted his teeth. "I trust her."

"Your trust in her means nothing to me. You trusted that manipulative twat Aliyah and look where it put you. That's why I told you to lay low. Stay away from relationships until everything is completely resolved. How hard is it for you and your brother to listen to simple instructions? We can't trust anyone not to spill what we know. Not even girlfriends. Not even baby mamas. No one. Just each other. You and your siblings are running me mental. Does "trust no one" hold no ground anymore?"

I said firmly. "I'd never turn my back away from Levi."

Vikram Caden mocked. "You're saying that now, but what happens when you find something deeper. Levi's illness is only small feat compared to what we've stepped into."

"Like the missing or possibly murdered Radiant children from poor homes? And the council's cover up?"

I knew I had crossed a line, but I had no intention of backing down. Not when I had gotten this far, and the look in Levi's eyes confirmed my fears. He knew. He frowned. He said nothing. Oh God.

Vikram's jaw ticked. "Now tell me how I can trust you when you know so much. Judging from Levi's face, he clearly didn't tell you. So how did a straight A- 16 year old girl get warped up with such information?"

"I should be the one worrying about trust, since there are many dark things your family's into."

Levi assured. "It's not what you think, Tamar."

"We don't owe her any explanation. She clearly thinks of us as the bad guys. It also seems like she doesn't trust you."

Levi huffed. "Why should she trust me when there are so many secrets?"

"The secrets are there to put everything in order. Not everyone can handle them."

"Did you ever wonder if I wanted secrets like these in my life? I wanted simpler things. Not this political ambiguity that I'm being sucked in."

Vikram hissed. "If you wanted a simple life that badly then I should have left you in the orphanage when I saw you years ago."

Levi paused. Unshed tears stung in his eyes. Things had escalated for the worse so quickly.

Vikram took a slow sigh. "Levi. I'm sorry. I shouldn't ha—"

Levi immediately turned stony. "Tamar and I would get out of your hair now. I apologize for being rude. It's unlike me. Goodbye, dad."

"You can't leave just yet."

I couldn't withhold my frustration. "Why not?"

Vikram countered. "I can't risk you being seen by any of Kree Badmus' people just in case. I'll call an aide to come over and take you wherever you want. For the time being, sit still. I'll also get some of my people to get food and provisions transferred to your destination."

Levi stated with hostility. "We don't need anything from you."

"It wasn't a request, Levi."

"Sometimes I forget that you don't make requests. You only order us around."

"I'm doing something nice. Be grateful." Vikram spoke with annoyance.

I admitted. "They wouldn't like it if you gave them stuff."

"Who? Them? Maybe it's an issue to Tunde Oye, but definitely not his wide eyed nephew, Kiitan Romanoff." We both gave him surprised looks and he chortled. "You think I don't know what's going on with all my children. Even Zuri, who's in England now. I watch over everyone. I know all about the people you surround yourself with. Nothing's a secret. Nothing."

Levi mumbled. "Just call your aide. I really need to get the hell out of here."