Defiant (Vol. II) - Chapter twenty one

Chapter twenty one
Kiitan led us in a vehicle and after a couple of hours, took us to a remote location. He had our eyes blindfolded throughout the ride. It was kind of his way of being in control. I didn't mind. I didn't have to. It was our one chance of meeting Tunde Oye and we weren't going to mess it up. Levi had a plan. Levi always had a plan.

The vehicle stopped in front an archaic one story building with leaves trailing all over its walls. I'd never had believed that anyone could live there. I tried to mask my shock and put on a passive look. Levi didn't look surprised. I hardly doubt he ever is.

Kiitan grunted. "Follow me."

And we did. As we stepped in, I gasped. The whole exterior was a smoke screen. A way to keep people from entering inside. I had thought that it'd be as shabby as it looked on the outside. Never did I imagine to be glamorously designed and well lit.

Kiitan smirked, when he caught my astonished expression. "Try to keep your eyes from bulging." I glared at him. We followed him through the stairs, until he finally pushed open a steel door. "Here we are."

The door revealed an older man lying down, face-up on the grand mahogany bed. He had winter white hair which was evenly cropped down. His deep set of orange eyes eyed us warily. It was then I noticed something and my heart sunk. His olive skinned hands were attached to a IV machine. My gaze flitted to the tubes leading all the way to his back. It was quite a heartbreaking sight. I didn't know the man, but I felt Mr. Tunde Oye's pain.

Tunde Oye's voice was hoarse. "Good. You all are here. I've been expecting you. When Kiitan told me that some inhabitants wanted to see me, I wondered who was brave and foolish to do so. But then when I was told that it was a Caden, I had to see the person for myself." He paused to ask. "Does this Caden have a name?"

Levi greeted then said. "I am Levi Caden. This is Tamar Adu." He pointed to me, and I greeted.

Tunde Oye rolled my name off his tongue, and turned his head to Kiitan who stood faraway and watched our interaction. "Isn't she the girl you told me that you liked?"

Kiitan muttered. "Not anymore." My face softened. I actually never thought that he'd care that much. Levi caught my sad look and interlaced our hands together. I looked up at him and felt my heart glow.

Our interaction didn't miss Tunde Oye's sight. "I guess you're now a Caden's girl."

My eyes blazed. "I am my own girl."

Tunde Oye chuckled. "I see why you liked her. This one's a spitfire."

Levi cleared his throat. "We came here for a very important matter."

"Oh I know all about your doomed quest. Kiitan tells me that you're planning on invading the refinement facility. A place with security at its peak and technologies at its fingertips. That same place?"

Levi's lips were set in a line. "Yes, sir."

Tunde Oye continued. "You want me to sacrifice some of my strongest men to help you in your escape too. And to help provide tools you need for this human heist. Am I correct?"

I tensed. He sounded like a man who already plans to refuse, but chooses to tease us. Levi only held his head high and wore one of his usual grim look. "Very correct, sir."

He screeched in sheer laughter, then looked at us. "What in the world makes you think that I'll align myself in a fool's crusade?"

Levi clenched his fist tightly. Taking in a slow sigh, his face turned icy. "What if it's the one way you can get to become permanently cured?"

Tunde Oye's mouth hung low. So did mine. I did not see that coming. "Excuse me?"

Still sounding cool and collected, Levi motioned towards him. "My family, despite how much you hate hearing our name, runs the world's leading biomedical center with a hundred percent success rate. I can assume that you're tired of having tubes coming out your body. It must be exhausting. Let us help you win this fight."

Tunde Oye thundered. "I do not make deals with Caden's. Not now, not ev—."

Kiitan cut in, his eyes almost pleading. "Uncle, please. Don't do this. This is our one chance to keep you alive."

His uncle sputtered. "Do you think I fear death? I have battled this cancer with all of my strength. I have accepted my fate. I have left our people in good hands."

"But your work isn't over. You still have so much to do. You're the only family I have left." Kiitan forced himself to hold back the tears running down his handsome face.

He shook his head. "I barely have weeks left. You can do so much in my place. You are their leader. You always were. I am just a dying man."

Levi retorted. "You can hear your uncle. You're now the leader."

Kiitan stepped closer and raked his eyes all over his uncle's feeble body, then uttered. "I am the leader. My first order of business as the newly appointed Head, is to have my uncle taken for immediate health care. You deserve the services of a top notch company like the Cadens' have. You deserve to live. I know you want to live. Give yourself that chance"

His uncle's eyes widened. "Kiitan. That's not what I meant wh—"

"This isn't just for us. It's for the Radiants in need. I thought that was what you were all about." He stretched out his hand to Levi. "Here's to our successful partnership."

Levi took his hand. He smirked. "It's good to finally have you on our side."