Radiant (Vol I) - Chapter twenty eight

Chapter 28
We were all seated in the halls, awaiting Levi's announcement, that actually gathered all the radiants in the Clandestine together.

Levi stood at the centre stage. His rich baritone voiced boomed, as he uttered each word with confidence. "Good morning, Radiants. After many requests from radiants here, the Global Council of Radiants have accepted to transport televisions to us. I already know that alot of rooms don't have a television set in them, thereby disconnecting them from the outside world, but the GCR have heard your pleas and decided to send them in. A list would be passed around each room today, so if you'd like to have tv set in your room, then you should write your names down. Thank you."

After saying that, Levi walked out of the centre stage and headed out of it. That was it. The meeting was over and I was finally going to get a tv in my room. Things were definitely looking up around here.

Zuri, who was sitting next to me, rolled her eyes. "It's quite bias that they only agreed to do so, because I complained that I didn't have a tv in my room. If I wasn't a Caden, then I'd be ignored. That's just bullshit."

I didn't even understand why she was telling me this OR talking to me OR even sitting next to me in the first place. The last time we spoke, I had lashed out and walked out on her, so I found it odd that she was even attempting to talk to me after that time.

Oge, who was perched at my other side, scoffed. "Now it makes complete sense. I was wondering why the GCR gave a shit about if we watched tv, but now it explains everything. Vikram Caden might have even sponsored it all by himself. It won't be the first time he's done something like this. This is proof that the affluent always gets it all."

Kel spoke up. "I'm just happy they actually agreed to bring for the rest of us, and not just Zuri. I've missed watching tv."

I pointed out. "I didn't even know some rooms had tv in the first place. I thought tv wasn't a thing around here. I've been here for over two months and haven't set my eyes on any. Then again, I've only been to one room, aside from mine and that's Oge's room." I paused, and turned my head to her "How come you don't have a tv in your room? You've been here for like six months or more. You should have been entitled to it a long time ago."

Oge shrugged. "I'm not a tv person. I hardly watch tv. I'm more of a reader. That's why I enjoy doing two things. Reading and Working. Those are the things that matter to me."

Zuri snorted. "Well that's completely boring. I can't wait to get the tv in my room so I can kick back and relax."

Kel's nose crinkled. "That's all you want to do all day? Watch tv?"

"Is there a problem with that?"

"I bet anyone can get away with things, just because they're rich."

Zuri stiffened. "What's that supposed to mean?"

Kel wagged her finger at Zuri. "Everyone plays a part here. I'm in the home management domain. Tamar's a fighter. Oge's in the medical team. It just seems unfair to the rest of us that all you want to do is to laze around. No offense."

"None taken. I'll join a domain when I'm ready. Probably the design team. I'm a badass seamstress, so they'll end up needing my skills alot."

Oge scoffed. "When you're ready? Wow, I wish I could get away with that."

Kel added. "Courtesy of being a Caden."

Zuri's face stiffened and she tucked a lock of her head, looking away. I could see the embarrassment on her face and couldn't help feeling bad for her. I ended up saying. "It's not completely awful. She just needs time to adapt. Not everyone's good at that. It would be unjust to make her do something against her will."

Zuri looked at me carefully, but said nothing. She sent me a grateful hint of a smile, which I returned with a slight nod.

Kel's nose crinkled. "If you say so."

Oge looked around the hall and frowned at the few number of people left in here. "The damn meeting's over. I've got to go. I have a patient probably waiting for me for a brief consult. I promised to meet up immediately after the meeting and I'd hate to keep the patient waiting."

Kel nodded. "Let's all go. There's no point waiting here any longer."

We all murmured in agreement and began to take our leave, when Zuri's voice had me whirling around. "Tamar, wait. I need to talk to you for a second. Please".

Hearing her plead was surprising to me, so I gave her a slow nod, said my goodbyes to my friends and listened to what she had to say.