Radiant (Vol I) - Chapter eighteen

Chapter 18

I darted my eyes around nervously. The way they looked at me, was unnerving and I couldn't help the feeling of discomfort running through my body. "Okay. What's going on?"

Aliyah's eyes gleamed. "We should be asking you the same thing. Who sent you?"

"Excuse me?"

Aliyah scoffed. "Don't try to act so innocent. Levi may have fallen for that, but I knew there was something about you."

Red's expression turned sour. "Aliyah, don't be so-"

"I shouldn't be so what? Blunt. We have a traitor in our midst and you expect me to sit still and let her get away with it."

Traitor? Wait. Were they talking about me? My gaze immediately flew to Levi's. I didn't know what was going on, but I needed him on my side. His amber-orange eyes held mine, but there was something else underneath it. Suspicion. He suspected me too.

Juan cleared his throat. "Relax, Aliyah. Everyone in this room knows how much you've been waiting for a day like this. A day where Levi would mess up and you'd finally be the Leader of this strikers. So stop making this so personal."

Aliyah glared at him. "Everyone knows why you're on this damn council, so don't act like you earned your position here."

"Look who's pointing fingers now. You and Laurena were able to squeeze yourselves through, because you're one of Dame Josie's numerous foster daughters."

Laurena leaned closer, her face turning cold. "Watch your mouth and leave me out of this."

Aliyah rolled her eyes. "I never got here, because Dame Josie took me in. I rose through the ranks. Not like some people who got in because their father practically ran this operation."

Levi's eyes blazed. His voice thundered, as he punched the table in front of him. "Enough. Especially you Aliyah. Your problems with me should remain where it should be, and not an opportunity to drag me down. Remember that you're my subordinate. Know your place."

T.J who had been quiet, throughout the ordeal, finally spoke up. "Let's not forget why we're really here. Let's put aside our differences and pretend to be on the same page for once."

Red nodded. "It was something I was just about to say, before I was rudely cut off." He sent a dirty look to Aliyah, which she ignored.

Levi turned his gaze to me. His face softening, as he spoke each word carefully. "How did you learn to shoot a perfect aim with a revolver? I know I haven't even taught you how to even use a weapon, so how did you do it?"

I stammered. "I-I don't know."

Aliyah rolled her eyes. "Oh for the love of God, do we have to listen to this?"

Red sighed. "If you aren't honest with us, this will escalate and you'd be taken to the Main Council Of Radiants, and they aren't as understanding as we are."

"I swear. I don't know how. It was just instinct. I saw that Levi was going to get shot and I couldn't let that happen. I grabbed the first thing I saw and did what I could."

Laurena's voice shot up. "Levi would have been fine. He has fast reflexes."

Levi admitted. "I actually didn't see the guy coming"

T.J inquired, turning his head to me. "So you don't have any prior knowledge on guns? Is that what you're saying?"

"My only knowledge on guns, were the books on guns Kóre gave me to study on. I also work in the mechanics domain, specifically the guns departments and I studied everything on them. How to use them, repairs, oiling and the likes. I just don't know how I knew how to use them."

Something changed in Levi's expression. It almost looked like a notion ran through his head "Maybe YOU don't know how to use them, but your brain does."

We all turned our gazes to him. T.J hummed. "What are you implying?"

"It's her eidetic memory. It's much more unique than any of us can imagine. She once said that she could understand whatever she saw, but what if it's much more than that. What if her mind can replicate whatever she sees and helps her apply it too. She read a book on guns and now, she's a gun expert. If she reads a book about knives, she'd definitely be a badass at it."

Aliyah's lips twisted. "So you mean she's not a traitor? No one sent her to infiltrate our group?"

Juan's lips curled up. "Don't sound so disappointed. People can actually see through you". Aliyah only huffed and said nothing.

Levi added. "We'd have to take her to Oge right now. So they can study her brain activity. It's remarkable how far her brain can go and how limitless its possibilities are."

Red sighed. Respite showing all over his face. "That's a relief, then."

T.J spoke, with remorse lacing his words. "On behalf of everyone here, I'd like to apologize. It must be an embarrassing moment for you, but we needed to be sure about everything"

Laurena joined in. Her voice laced in her usual monotone manner. "We're always careful around here. So please, accept our deepest apology."

I nodded. I did understand their concerns, but it did hurt that they doubted me. Even if it were for a fleeting moment. "It's fine."

I swerved my head to Levi's direction, as he spoke. " Now that we're on the same page. It's time to take you to Oge".

.....
Let's have a peek into Tamar's brain. Now shall we.

Xoxo
Jasmine