A Fleeting Encounter

The young man looks at me without any particular expression, not even a surprise. How did he manage to catch me? Did he knew I was up in the tree? How long has he been here for? I swallow slightly and I suppose that kind of broke the tension a little bit, his expression slowly forms into a slight grin. His crimson eyes narrows as he smiles, it's a bit unnerving to be honest but he hasn't hurt me yet. I'm still holding onto his neck, and for some reason my mind isn't telling me to let go.

"Such bravery and foolishness to be climbing a tall tree such as this one." He says with a grin.

His voice is calm and deep, it almost echos throughout the open field. It's captivating if I must say.

"I... I wanted to get a cherry blossom bud..." I slowly answer him.

"And you would put your life in danger to kill a life of nature? Now do you think it's something that you should do?" He asks me.

His question seem to freeze my mind completely, it was a question that makes my head spin in thought. I look back into his defined eyes, I haven't realized but I've never seen someone with red eyes before till now.

"I suppose it was stupid of me..." I answer quietly.

"If you think it's stupid, then I suggest you should think about the consequences of your actions in the future if you happen to make a similar choice." He says calmly raising an eyebrow.

I gulp at his words and slowly lets out a nod. Without another word, he lowers me down onto the ground and that is when I finally unwrap my short arms around his neck. He's quite a tall man, I'm around the height of his navel. The night breeze gently blowing across the forest against me, almost as if it's pushing me back and away from him. He's just standing there and looking up at the cherry blossom tree.

"If you're done here, I suggest you head back to where you came from. If you haven't known, demon attacks are occuring throughout the land. Not to mention, they appear more frequently during night time. Be a good girl and run along before you find yourself in danger." He says turning his body slightly to look at me.

I inhale sharply and I feel a slight sense of chill as I hear his words, my mind went blank, he's right, I should get back as soon as possible. Without a word, I turn and I run back the way I came. I run until I'm almost within the canopy of the trees again, for some reason, something's nagging away at me. I slowly come to a stop just before I entered back into the darker areas of the forest.

"He saved me from that fall and I didn't even say thank you..." I say to myself quietly.

It's true, I was so caught up in the moment that I forgot my gratitude to the man for saving me. He may seem a bit peculiar, but he doesn't seem like a bad person. I turn around to look back at where the cherry blossom tree stood, and there he is still, looking up at the tree and walking around it.

"Maybe I'll just go back and say thank you." I say to myself.

Determined, I begin to head back to the tree. Stupid choice perhaps, but nothing has happened that shows that he would hurt me.
I stop a few feet away from him and I play with my kimono sleeve trying to find the courage to speak up. He has stopped walking and looked at the fireflies, his long black hair gently swaying in the breeze.

"How brave of you to come back to a potential danger." He suddenly says without turning to look at me.

His words surprised me, he knew that I'm here.

"Uhm, I would just like to say... thank you for saving me..." I quietly say.

I see his head lift up a little, he then turns slightly to look at me, his red eyes glimmering in the dark. His expression is that of an astounded and confused one. After a few seconds his expression returns back to a slight grin.