Picking Up Where We Left Off

I take Naraku's hand and I guide him back to underneath the tree, I motioned to him to sit down. We sit across from each other, that way we can see each other face to face, so that I can see the real him through his eyes.

"I told you before that I'll be here to listen whenever you need someone to talk to. I'll listen with an open mind, so tell me everything Naraku. Tell me why you suddenly told me that you hated me that night." I tell him.

Naraku smiles and nod, he inhales and looks at the cherry blossoms falling in mid air.

"Like I said, I never hated you. I thought I was doing the right thing..." He tells me.

"You thought you were doing the right thing? Why did you think it was?" I ask him curious.

"I suppose I should start on that night. When you jumped in front of me to protect me, I realized just how strong your love was, and because of the love that I felt for you I was able to break through the barrier blocking my past memories. I wanted to protect you from harm, just like how you protected me from death. When I took you to my castle, I thought that we would be safe, that you would be safe. I was still knew to love so I thought keeping you away from the world was the only way to keep you close and safe, I was happy to know that you survived the injury, I was happy to have spent that intimate night with you. I loved you so much that it was blinding me from reality, I only wished to spend the rest of my life with you..." Naraku says recalling the past memories.

"Reality? Why was it the reason that you had to push me away?" I ask him feeling an ache in my heart.

Naraku's face suddenly looks solemn, I want to touch him and embrace him but I can't do that... just yet at least. I want to hear the rest.

"I had to push you away, because of my own reality. I was a demon born of darkness, it was me in the past life. I was hunted down my Inuyasha and the others, including Sesshomaru. My past life has carried into my new life, I'm still seen and known as a demon that needs to be hunted down and extinguished. A few days before that painful day, I had sensed Sesshomaru's demonic aura nearing the castle. Although he never came to the castle, but close proximity was dangerous as it was." Naraku says.

My eyes suddenly widens in shock, but then I find my composure again and thought about it, putting the pieces together bit by bit. So that's why he looked so conflicted those days, Sesshomaru was tracking him down.

"The flower field that you took me to... it wasn't just because you knew that I love flowers was it?" I ask him remembering.

"Indeed. I know about the Alluring Field, the fact that it repels demons with acute senses. That day in the morning, I sensed that Sesshomaru was nearing the castle and could potentially attack me. So that's why I lied to you and took you to the flower field, because that place was safe enough to keep Sesshomaru in a distance and unable to find us amongst the strong scents of flowers." Naraku says.

So that's why... he did that to protect himself from being killed and potentially that possibility of me getting injured again. But why did he had to lie?

"Why didn't you just tell me that Sesshomaru was after us? Why didn't you just tell me that we are going to hide at the flower field? Was it all necessary?" I ask him confused.

"Knowing your personality and persistence, I believed it was the right choice." He answers with a slight smile.

"My personality? What does that have to do with everything?" I ask him.

"It has to do with everything. Being with you in those few weeks, I have come to know that you're persistent and brave from your love, you even said it yourself. Seeing you jump in front of me that night to protect me, I knew that if Sesshomaru was to come for me again, you would stand your ground and protect me again if necessary." Naraku finally discloses.