Shepherd Boy

¤ ¤ ¤

Passing the freshly churned earth of Julian Winslow's grave Potter had Janna under his arm as he ushered her to the gate of the graveyard, walking next to the fencing Janna stared at the grave, soon she pushed her eyes away feeling her stomach churn. She was guilty for his death, he would have been alive if she just stayed.

They continued down a dirt road a half kilometre away was the village's centre, there was a herd of sheep that bleated violently as Janna and Potter passed when they got nearer a herd boy tapped the sheep with a long twisted stick.  A tall shaggy grey dog galloped at his side. This dog trotted to Janna, sticking his large wet nose into her palm, Janna stopped to give the dog a quick pet so she could absorb some warmth, the dog stood with his shoulders at hers. A familiar voice called to the dog who turned his mighty head, a hand sat on Janna shoulder as the familiar pale face of Orion came to Janna, his cheeks were pink and his black hair was resting on his shoulders "Janna?" Orion saw Potter "Professor?"

   "Orion!" Janna hugged his shoulders, he was too dumbfounded to quickly wrap his arms around her but slowly he did after dropping. his stick.

   "Were ya greeting?" Orion asked as he closed his eyes, letting her warm up as he hugged her closer "Yur eyes are so puggled. Yu're Baltic as well"

Potter interrupted by asking "Do your parents have a Floo? The one we came through has no floo dust, and we need to get back to Hogwarts"

Orion stared at Potter like he was mad for asking the question "Naw, there's one in the pub on the island, hoachin' this time of day." Orion pulled Janna closely to his hip as she leaned on him "Janna's lookin' a wee peelly wally, sir. I suggest you go to the pub before the tide comes back"

   "Where is the pub?" Potter asked as the large dog came to his elbow. Orion pointed to a fog embankment "'round the bend of the village centre there is a bridge over a dyke, ye have te be hammered to miss it" Orion looked down at Janna "I'll keep Janna, she won't make the trek in this dreich" Potter hesitated "Urnie leaving Janna alone, ma bit is nearby where that pink house is, I'll take her there"

   "Alright," Potter slowly turned on his heel "keep her safe"

Orion nodded as he watched the short professor walk over the small slope and disappear, he looked down at Janna as the snow began to fall "I'm sure he didn't understand a word you said" Janna murmured, her breathe causing puffs of fog to form as she lifted herself off his shoulder.

Orion let her walk on her own but he took off his thick coat that reached his feet "Wotchu doin' here?" Orion asked as he wrapped the coat around Janna before lifting his stick from the ground.

   "I...I went to Mr. Winslow's funeral at that cemetery down the road" Janna breathed as she followed Orion who whistled to the sheep, the herd began to trot in front of him while the large dog kept all the sheep in a bunch.

   "Are you 'right?" Orion asked as he gently took her hand with his gloves to lead her to kraal the sheep into a fenced off area near a rickety house.

   "I don't know" Janna responded looking at Orion's pale neck where a strange mark was, she leaned to his neck but he turned his head to see her "You have something on your neck..." Orion's lips pursed as he let go of his hand to walk ahead of her to poke the last of the sheep into the fenced off place, the dog followed the sheep and he slowly closed the gate.

Janna stared at him as he turned to her, his eyes were pointed down to dead grass in the blanket of snow "I...er was nabbed by a thistle bush when fetching a lamb" Janna's eyes narrowed, his swallowed quickly "Well...Where did you get your scars then?"

Subconsciously Janna slapped her hand to her neck "I—long story, Orion" Janna muttered as Orion stood in front of her, he hugged her tightly, lacing hands around her back "I missed you too"

Orion laughed into her shoulder "Naw, I'm warmin' ye up, eeejit" His voice was muffled by the thick material of the coat, he breathed into her ear "Aye, I did miss you" Janna smirked as he wrapped an arm around her to keep her warm "Jammy you that I caught ya with that glaickit professor, or else you would have frozen to death out here"

   "Is this where you live?" Janna asked as they passed the pink house that was near the house Orion pointed out, the house sat on a steep slope which lead down to a valley with many trees that flattened out into a pasture that went on for kilometres.

   "Aye, weren't ye listenin'?" Orion ruffled Janna's hair "this hair must be blocking out all I say" he chuckled as Janna tried to reach to his hair but he swayed out the way, the two reached the steps to where a stoep was.

Out of Janna's eyes she saw the ocean, she stopped at the railing that was crusted with ice "Is that the sea?"

   "Ne'er seen the North Sea?" Orion asked as he cantered up the steps, Janna shook her head as she stared at the iron grey ocean that was opaque through the falling snow "it's bloomin' cold, nothin' interestin' until it is twelve degrees," Orion put out his hand for Janna "maw said selkies come by May but I haven't seen any"

Janna followed Orion as he pulled her over the slippery ice her black trainers couldn't grip "to be honest I don't understand anything you are saying" she said as he pulled her to the door as her shoes skidded on the ice.

    "Augh...wee lamb" He teased as he turned a shiny brass oval knob "I don't think pa is home, he works at the pub during now and tea time" Orion walked through, his hand still holding Janna's, he stopped in the hall of the front door "'ello, Maw!" Orion shouted as he turned to the house, Janna felt the house was warm and cozy so she pulled the coat but Orion quickly helped her.

   "Ye be'er not be trekkin' mud into the house, laddie!" Yelped a woman's voice in response, Orion snickered as he looked at his boots seeing melted snow on the sides.

He looked at Janna "Snow doesn't count"